The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new ravin r29 about a month ago, ill tell you i have shot many crossbows, and this is by far the best most accurate crossbow i have ever shot, the crank mechanism is second to none, it is pricey, but it is one awesome crossbow!!!

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Yeah. They are an engineering triumph for sure. There is a lot to like about Ravin crossbows and the technology they bring to the table. I am not a fan of their advertising campaign but they have certainly changed the game with other manufacturers playing catch up.

I have been shooting the R26 this year. Every time I pick it up I am amazed with the total package. So much power in such a short and narrow package. The only downside has been rather quick serving wear and separation which is to be somewhat expected with such a narrow bow.

·
Super Moderator
12,897 Posts
Due to a malfunction with my bow I borrowed a Ravin crossbow last year. I was able to take nice bucks in KY and OH. The ravin is very impressed with the accuracy, it is much easier to carry in the woods than my "Batwing" crossbow and the scope is equal to any of my pet rifles to 100 yds.

I have been looking to buy one....just haven't "Pulled the trigger yet."

·
Super Moderator
12,897 Posts
I did a lot of investigation on the Ravin crossbows over a couple of days. I changed amoung the R20, R26 and R29 repeatedly and believe all would more than fit my needs.

Since I was having a difficult time making up my mind, I called the gentlemen who loaned me his crossbow last year and determined is an R10. I was very happy with the accuracy, weight and maneuverability of the R10 and the confidence it provided.

Therefore, I ordered a Ravin R10 to arrive on my birthday...sure beats a tie.

As I have said before I love and prefer to hunt with a compound bow. Back in 2005 I bought a Mathews Switchback and it is still in excellent shape, but due to having surgery on both of my triceps I am unable to draw it pull back in cold weather therefore, the need for a crossbow when it colds off.

At 74 my R10 should be all the crossbow I will need and I will continue to hunt on the warmer days, shoot 3D and practice in the backyard with my compound bow.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I have an R9 I bought last September, that model was in my price range. Simply Love it.
I almost went withe Ten Point Shadow NXT first then changed my mind. So glad I did.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
I see there’s a R9,R10,R20,R26,R29. Are there other models also? Which is the newest, best and most expensive. Two of my buddies have them but I don’t know much about them. My friends’s Raven broke this year before season while it was being cocked. He took it to an authorized dealer( not where he bought it, I think it came from Bass Pro Shop ), and they lent him a demo model to use till his came back.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
The only downside has been rather quick serving wear and separation which is to be somewhat expected with such a narrow bow.
There are aftermarket strings and cables out there that are supposed to be better and cheaper. There is a lot of info on Crossbow Nation.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
I see there’s a R9,R10,R20,R26,R29. Are there other models also? Which is the newest, best and most expensive. Two of my buddies have them but I don’t know much about them. My friends’s Raven broke this year before season while it was being cocked. He took it to an authorized dealer( not where he bought it, I think it came from Bass Pro Shop ), and they lent him a demo model to use till his came back.
They are ALL expensive. I'm not knocking them because I've never tried one, but I don't know of any costing less than a kings ransom.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I see there’s a R9,R10,R20,R26,R29. Are there other models also? Which is the newest, best and most expensive. Two of my buddies have them but I don’t know much about them.
I recently bought 2 R-10s for me and my son. I did a lot of research before buying them.

The R-26 is a neat bow but the performance and physical specs are the same as the R-10 except for the overall length which is 3 inches shorter. Because of the length of the R-26 your arrow sticks out in front of the limbs. I still hunt a lot and I thought that would be a problem for me.

The R-20 and R-29 are 30 fps faster and up to a thousand dollars more. The deer are not going to know the difference.

BTW the R-26 and R-29 need to be partially dissembled to change the strings, cables or do the timing.

After adding all the pluses and minuses up I went with the R-10 which seemed to me to be the best value for the money.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Someone mentioned accuracy. The accuracy is better than any xbow I have shot.

When we initially sighted in my son's bow we were shooting at night on an outdoor range under lights . The next to last step in the "sight in" process was to take a shot at 50 yards and make final adjustments. My son shot and the guys were calling the shots. There was disagreement on where the first arrow hit. After a second shot more disagreement. So he fired a third shot.

We went down to check on the hits. All 3 arrows were dead center in a 1 inch dot and were touching each other. Fortunately none were cracked but he did bust the nock and chipped the rear ferrule on one.

The Ravin is an incredible bow.

Reactions: joe8768

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
How are they as far as reliability and long term issues?I was at Jim's sport center in Clearfield over the summer and overheard them tell a guy that they wouldn't carry them because of all the problems.I thought that was odd because I hadn't heard anyone complaining about problems on the message boards.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
How are they as far as reliability and long term issues?I was at Jim's sport center in Clearfield over the summer and overheard them tell a guy that they wouldn't carry them because of all the problems.I thought that was odd because I hadn't heard anyone complaining about problems on the message boards.
Sounds like they were making excuses for not wanting to spend the money on the inventory. They have been very reliable. Probably more reliable than the majority of other crossbows.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
They were bashing them pretty bad.
Sometimes small shops do not meet the qualifications set by manufacturers. If you can't sell them you bash them.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
They were bashing them pretty bad.
Get on YouTube and check out the reports. Other than strings and cables there are no problems and the string and cable problem is about wear and not a big issue.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Sometimes small shops do not meet the qualifications set by manufacturers. If you can't sell them you bash them.
It's the biggest shop in the area.If they wanted them,I can't see why they couldn't get them but who knows.It's good to hear they they've been reliable.I'm not into crossbows but I did handle one at a Field and stream and have to admit,it was pretty slick.Are they quiet for a crossbow?

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Are they quiet for a crossbow?
No they are not quiet and from what I read no one found a dampener that worked OK.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Get on YouTube and check out the reports. Other than strings and cables there are no problems and the string and cable problem is about wear and not a big issue.
Good to know you have some experience with this bow. I just bought the same one from my neighbor upstate but have not shot it yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts