The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have had good or bad experiences with large lures with overly loud rattles? I was looking at a storm flat stick (rapala minnow type surface bait) that had rattles that sounded like a 747 jet landing gear with 3 bad wheel bearings lol. Is louder Better in moderately stained to clear water?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not much for me personally on the rattlebaits, but that is not to say I avoid noise. I just don't use those much. Most musky baits cause a lot of commotion/vibration in other ways than rattles.

The rattlebaits are a big thing on southern waters in the spring. A lot of guys use the small bass size ones with hook upgrades. Often times those southern reservoirs are murky in the spring. Prespawn/spawn & lots of shad too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ya that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback fishdoctor. What kinds of sub surface and topwater jerkbaits do you prefer for muskies doc?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I love a new glider made by a fella in WV called a hotail. This bait has definitely put some fish in the boat since its creation last summer, including my PB. I'm a big fan of the prop style topwaters like the topraider, mostly because of the ease of use and its ability to throw off a few weeds without fouling. That said their are a lot of other lures that will do the job, just gotta find the ones you have confidence in!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glider sounds interesting. They sure are fun to work. Topraiders are nice too, I have a couple of em. Going for my first muskie this year. Bought the gear a couple years ago but just been too busy to put time in lately with work. Really appreciate the help doc.

What would you say are optimum water temps and times of the year to focus my efforts? I'll be making trips to the Allegheny river near Pittsburgh and kinzua.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Muskies can be caught year round, but most of us give them a break when temps get above 80F for the fishes sake. Fortunately in PA those temps don't hold for long.

Right now is tough in PA due to the spawn, I tend to lay low till after turkey. Mostly males to be caught now anyway. Once the spawn is over May and June will be good. 60F+ will start the bucktail bite followed by topwater bite. Fall switches to the bigger baits & they can be fished through winter with open waters. Just make sure to have a good release kit ready, longnose pliers, hook cutters and a big net so you can do the unhooking/picture prep in the water. Heavy gear is a must for quick fights and handling the lures. After that it is just putting in your time. The waters you mentioned have them, just a matter of sticking it out!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, great tips. Thanks fishdoctor! Your time is appreciated. Good luck this season

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with the fishdoctor on the hottails, and also giving the fish a break when the temps hit 80.

Some good conservation stuff if you search a site out called mid-atlantic muskies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya the hottails do look good. Thanks MTairyed, I'll check that site out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts