The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone getting their permits this year ? sending mine soon , running late this year.before we know it june will be here

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I'll be getting mine, like usual. Those sakes make for great photo opportunities!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
havent seen one in 15 years. If they were here I would... Need a nice backing for a recurve bow I just picked up.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I only ever harvested one. He was living under a huge rock by my buddies camp, and he didn't want him around the kids and dog. If it wasn't for that, I would never have killed one. I will say though, he tasted great on the grill. I would eat another one, but I wouldn't kill one simply for that reason.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borden811 said:
I only ever harvested one. He was living under a huge rock by my buddies camp, and he didn't want him around the kids and dog. If it wasn't for that, I would never have killed one. I will say though, he tasted great on the grill. I would eat another one, but I wouldn't kill one simply for that reason.

·
Registered
542 Posts
sorry for the stupid questions, but..... what do you need a permit for?? and why would you harvest them (how many can you harvest)???

dont worry i have no intentions of messing with them. just courious.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you need a venomous snake permit to hunt or shall i say touch a rattle or copperhead snake . and only one of each may be harvested and there are restrictions with lenght and sex with the rattlesnakes .

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
So, how do you know the sex of a snake??i thought you had to "goose" them to figure that out.No way I'm doing that with a rattle snake

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
You count the Rattlesnakes subcaudal scales scales.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Like Dietsch said, you need a permit to even be messing with them. It's not expensive, and well worth it in my opinion!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I don't like snakes and I have higher level of dislike for vipers. However, I enjoy watching the videos and pics on this site of the snakes folks catch.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
when i see a snake, ANY snake i scream like a school girl, pull up my skirt and run. they just freak me out. no way i'd ever go looking for them.
funny story....a few years ago i was spring gobbler hunting and got to this area that just looked "snakey". lots of boulders i had to walk over. about half way across the rocks i hear "bzzzzzzzz!" i jumped and sprinted about 10 yards then stopped and looked back. then again, right under my feet "Bzzzzzzzzzzz!" i jump and run again. now i'm hyperventilating and shaking. then a third time "bzzzzzzzzzzzz!" only then did i realize my phone was on vibrate and i was receiving a call. i looked around hoping no one saw what just happened. they would think i was crazy!

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I might be a bigger sissy than you. Forget Rattlesnake country, I react like that in garter snake country.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
pallof said:
when i see a snake, ANY snake i scream like a school girl, pull up my skirt and run. they just freak me out. no way i'd ever go looking for them.
funny story....a few years ago i was spring gobbler hunting and got to this area that just looked "snakey". lots of boulders i had to walk over. about half way across the rocks i hear "bzzzzzzzz!" i jumped and sprinted about 10 yards then stopped and looked back. then again, right under my feet "Bzzzzzzzzzzz!" i jump and run again. now i'm hyperventilating and shaking. then a third time "bzzzzzzzzzzzz!" only then did i realize my phone was on vibrate and i was receiving a call. i looked around hoping no one saw what just happened. they would think i was crazy!
My brother-in-law was like that. I used to keep a small box of matches in my vest when we were fishing. I would wait till we were in some "snakey" cover, and then give the matchbox a shake. You would be amazed at how much that sounds like a rattler, and how fast a 300lb guy could move!

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
That trick worked on your BIL because he didn't know what a Rattler truly sounds like. Those John Wayne movies that used the mariachi band rattles are all wrong
They sound more like the buzzing of a few angry Bees than a rattle. Good trick nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
My stepdaughter's boyfriend is a practical joker that gets everyone - and gets them good. But he has a very serious fear of snakes. Does anyone know where O can find a good, "realistic" rubber snake that we can use (occasionally) to get him back by scaring the heck out of him?!

I've been looking, but the only rubber snakes I can find look like cheap toys that nobody would think are real.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts