The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do if your dog is bitten? Just wondering as I'm heading to good snake country this weekend with my dog to camp. I just never thought of what to do if he gets bitten. Any experience here guys?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
6.5-284BMF said:
What do you do if your dog is bitten? Just wondering as I'm heading to good snake country this weekend with my dog to camp. I just never thought of what to do if he gets bitten. Any experience here guys?
Carry some Benadryl on you. Give it to the dog if it's bitten and then get to your nearest animal hospital, especially if you know of one that has the antivenin on hand.

Though rattlesnake bites certainly do happen, fortunately rattlesnakes aren't typically aggressive snakes. At least a fair percentage of bites are "dry" bites, meaning no venom is transmitted. The "rattlesnake vaccine" will buy you more time and/or lessen the effects of the venom. I think many dogs actually survive a rattlesnake bite.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yes the vaccine is effective for our timbers.. its sold by red rock biologics. My vet in Montoursville PA said i have to order it by the tray and i forget what he said but it was around 50 or 60 bucks for the tray, if i wanted to get some other dog owners to go in on it he would keep it there at his facility..

i recall him telling me that if you were to do the vaccine, start it at the first sign of warm air in spring, and if its your dogs first time, give he or she another booster a month later.. then each year after you only need 1 vaccine at the start of the warm months.

I have not done it yet, but i do now have 2 dogs and spend alot of time at my cabin in clinton and potter county. If anyone local to williamsport is interested in more information shoot me a message, a short drive to williamsport with your pups each year might be the difference between life and death.

here is a link from the laboratory
http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's my understanding that a lot of dogs do survive rattlesnake bites, with little or no long term effects. My buddy had a big pointer that got bitten and he lived, but was never the same dog again and as I recall he died young, but that was back before anyone knew about the vaccine.
A lot of people swear by snake proofing but I have no first-hand experience with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts