The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few raspberrys in the yard here in Montco and wondered if they would benefit from pruning to increase the yield next year. Just don't know how to do it. Right now the branches are long and thick and have berries but hard and painful to get to because it is dense . I think a lot of the growth is in the greens not the berries. Any way to increase the yield?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have yellow raspberries and have never pruned them They are producing a lot of berries this year with the rain we got earlier. But I have thought of maybe cutting them all back in the fall. Would this hurt the berry crop for next year? Do they bear on new or old growth?
They are delicious berries

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think yellow raspberry's are everbearing. You might be able to be cut to the ground after they freeze in the fall. They will only get a fall crop on them, not a summer and fall. I'll send you a pm.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nourse Nursery website says that the seasonal berries are produced on 2nd year growth. Cut the ones that produce this year down to the ground after picking and the ones that have no growth this year will fruit next summer. Mine are wild grown not nursery stock

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have tried various pruning methods on my blackberries and raspberries and to me it is just easiest to cut them all the way down in the fall. the next year you may have a light crop but the following year should be great. i have probably 200 yards worth of rows of various types so selective pruning is just too much work.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
About 5 years ago, I made the mistake of throwing my excess lime on a patch of red raspberries I have. Come to find out, they love ACIDIC soil.
Always consult or read-up before acting.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
A guy I know started out with 5 plants he and his daughter planted and man does he have a big patch of red rasberries. He feeds the chickens in it so they run around and peck and fertilize it for him and it really seems to do the trick cause they are loaded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts