The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nice! In central pa they have not started yet. But I am anxious.

·
20,123 Posts
We picked the first couple last night for the season down here in Northampton County. Black Rasps that is. By he weekend they will be hot and heavy. I dont think I'll pick my first Red until mid to later next week. I suppose it all varies with variety anyhow. Nobodies really ahead or behind in the berry game. It has a lot more to do with the variety you grow.

We are picking blue berries like crazy though. Picked almost a pint yesterday off one plant. Great year for them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hern, looks outstanding!

Would you consider sharing your pie filling recipe? is that vanilla pudding filling between the berries? or something better.. sugar,cream...? About the only thing I know about pies is how to eat them up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been picking for 2 weeks now. I get between 4 and 6 quarts every other day. I also tried a new variety this year. It is supposed to be a fall bearing variety. I hope it pans out. I would love to be picking black raspberry's in September.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
still no reds! Typically 4th weekend i can pick 5 gallon buckets. Blacks are tailing off, from the looks of it 1.5-2 weeks yet

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last of the Blackberry's right now. Never thought I'd say this after all that rain, but they pretty much dried out from lack of rain. We are on a pretty good rainless stretch here now. Actually having to water my stinking garden.... which is doing horribly by the way.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
We are sending the FIL out tonight. He seems to always find them.
Fearing season is closing. We were spoiled. Two pies a night by the MIL...

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, this heat and lack of rain has it 1 tick away from curtains.
Was a heck of a raspberry season though. Couldn't find enough last year.... got sick of picking them this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts