The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a rangefinder. I did not how many of you guys use them but i no nothing about them. If you guys could give me some background on what ones you suggest that would be great.
Hofj

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Get a used Leupold RXII with the TBR you can use it for bowhunting and it gives you angle shots with correct aim correction.Nice little rangefinder..Probably get one used for 100-150.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Nikon Prostaff 550 range finder. It works great for rifle and archery, no angle correction tho...wouldn't wanna take all the fun out of it. Not sure on cost tho, i got it as a gift, strongly recommended tho

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Have to look at what your using it for
Don't need one that goes out to 1000 yds if your not ever shooting that far
I HAD a Bushnell yardage pro 400
wouldn't range the hogs out past 250 yds
I now have a Yardage Pro 1000, able to pick out the hogs at 800yds plus - I can't hit them that far away but I can range them! lol

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive got the bushnell chuck adams edition and it works great. Its got bow mode with arc out to 99 yards and still ranges out to 800 yards the traditional way if you like long range rifle shooting. Nice realtree camo pattern, rugged housing, rain proof and comes with a battery, case and neck strap. You cant go wrong in my opinion. Its a nice little tool for not a bad price. Im my opinion its way better than the nikon archers choice and alot less expensive than the alternatives.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have the bushnell scout 1000 with arc. It is very clear and simple to use. Look around you can find them on sale from time to time. Most places have them for around 300 bucks but i got mine on sale for 200.

·
4,295 Posts
I have the Nikon Archer's Choice. It adjust for angle as well. Cost about $260.

It is a lot of money to only use a couple times a season but I thought it was worth it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have the nikon rifleman with arc technology, its like the archers choice but for an extra like 20 dollars mine ranges out to 500 yrds. the archers choice only goes to 100. if i had to recommend one over an other it would be the leupold rxII, i really like the lighted up digital screan. in low light conditions it really stand out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also use archer's choice. I love the angle compensation. I usually range all my shooting lanes at every sit.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you hunt in all wooded areas no real reason to spend the extra money on one with the angle compensation. Simply range the tree at your level not at the base of it.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
palefty said:
If you hunt in all wooded areas no real reason to spend the extra money on one with the angle compensation. Simply range the tree at your level not at the base of it.
I will agree with that one. I have the cheaper Bushnell. I think I paid $150 for it, and it works just fine. If I'm hunting a new spot I range a few trees when I first set up, and keep a mental note how far away they are.

On the off chance I am hunting a field I just try to pick something out and range it. Maybe just a dark spot in the grass or something.

Trying to range a deer with a range finder at bow range IMO creates too much movement. I like to be able to just pull back and release, and not fumble with a rangefinder.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i agree with hunt/fish365 i do the same thing. i range land marks and keep a mental picture of where my range is. ive never and will never try to pull my range finder out while im in my stand to find out if the deer is at 18 or 22 yards. makes no difference to me its all my first pin anyways.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
This is a little off topic but i bring it up since there is more and more of these posts.

Does anyone still use the techniques to estimate range without a range finder? I practice all time in trying to figure out distances by going in what i consider 10 yard segments. I can do it pretty quick now, and i'm within a few yards based upon my pace count.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a Nikon prostaff 440. Just as good as a more costly one. It dont have the angle compensation but even without it the "true range" was never enough to make me miss. I believe its good for 450 yards. Like 4cslabs basically said. You can pay more if you want to range stuff you will never hit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've got the Bushnell Scout 1000 w/ arc. It's great and very simple to use. My friend has basically the same thing but in Leupold's version. It isn't very user friendly and is tough to get the settings right. Plus for whatever reason the readings off of it are 5 yards longer than that of my Bushnell. I couldn't tell you why that is.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Im really liking my new Cabelas Range finder made by Bushnell ----EASY to use!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts