The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used a rangefinder before but I think it is time to invest in one. After 25 yards I am having trouble judging distance.
Just curious how many of you use them and if anyone has any recommendations on a good one to buy?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
For Archery hunting you can buy a cheap one but if your going out West and hunting big game and spending alot of money then buy a good Leupold or Nikon.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I use bushnell rangefinders (what we sell at work). They are golf models, but I just use a golf model for hunting as well. They have great customer service should a problem arise, but we have sold around 50 or so of them, and I can only remember 2 or 3 that had any type of problem, and they were an older model. The model I've been using is the Tour V2, which is similar to the scout (I believe) in their hunting line.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
Before range finders...I walked about a mile and a half to and from work on the nice days Summer and Winter just for the fun and exercise.

During that walk I would guess the distance to different objects and then step it off...change the objects and distances every day. I did this for a few years and thus, became every accurate to guessing ranges to 60 + yards. If you are not ready to adapt this option. I would think any of the range finders on today's market would be very accurate to archery ranges....If you are for saving $$ I don't believe camo is any plus if camo increases the price. I believe they will perform just as well in other colors....

Oh and I saved enough in travel expenses to buy a nice bow, license and the accessories I need.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Buy a nikon.......they work the best! i have a 550 ...My friend had a bushnell,during last year turkey hunting we tested each others. his was not even close to being accurate! He went out and bought a 550 the next day. He blamed missing a buck in the previous Archery season on that rangefinder.It was almost 11yrds off! Nikons are about 170+ - online at Gandermountain.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Born2Hunt said:
Before range finders...I walked about a mile and a half to and from work on the nice days Summer and Winter just for the fun and exercise.

During that walk I would guess the distance to different objects and then step it off...change the objects and distances every day. I did this for a few years and thus, became every accurate to guessing ranges to 60 + yards. If you are not ready to adapt this option. I would think any of the range finders on today's market would be very accurate to archery ranges....If you are for saving $$ I don't believe camo is any plus if camo increases the price. I believe they will perform just as well in other colors....

Oh and I saved enough in travel expenses to buy a nice bow, license and the accessories I need.....
I use to be pretty good at judging distances but this past year was tough. Not sure, maybe my vision has changed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Remember these! Old School Rangefinders.15yds to 70yds dial then focus look at dial...shoot! crude but they worked.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
I still have one and it is pretty accurate; however, it takes a little time to use.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had a Busnell some years ago, and then a Nikon. The Busnell had a baclight inside, so when I lazed something I could see the range immediately afterwards even in low light in the evening. But it wasn't as accurate as the Nikons, and was more likely to get blocked by vegitation even if it wasn't directly in the path of the lazer. The nikon was extremely accurate all the way out to 400+ yards, but I had to point it up at the sky in the evening to see what the range I just got was, because it had no backlight. Other than that, I would take a Nikon anyway.
I use a Lazer at 3D shoots. I guess the range, then laze it to confirm. If I am off more than 2 yards, then I try to figure out what it was about the setup that fooled me. It made me extremely good at range estimation in any conditions.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If your going to use it for archery get one that compensates for different shooting angles. At 20 feet in the air, 20 yards is not 20 yards anymore. I found that one out the hard way a few years ago when i shot over the back of a big double brow 8 point. I just got the Bushnell Bowhunter Chuck Adams edition range finder and it works great. I was gonna get the nikon archers choice but it only ranges out to 99 yards period! The Bushnell bowhunter will range to 99 yards in the bow mode and 800 yards in regular mode, so you can use it for more than just bow hunting. It is also much smaller in your hand then what it looks like online. I was very impressed with how easy it is to use and the compact size and camo outer shell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts