The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, what do you think is the best all around range rod/cleaning rid ? I lost my old Midway USA one in aluminum and it is driving me nuts to get another one. I would think synthetic or brass, but I need it to be pretty heavy duty also to cover all grounds and also pulling loads once and a while and loading tight patches. Probably a "T" handle that doesn`t spin. What say you?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have a solid brass rod with T handle for range work. Very heavy but sweet when doing extensive shooting. I bot from RMC.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Loggy, I might have the same rod as you. Mine came with a guide for the muzzlem, also made of brass of course. I got mine 2 years ago from RMC.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bout when i bot mine Tony. Weighs almost as much as gun!! LOL!!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Yea, mine is heavy as well... the guide is what is nice. Takes the heat of the rod instead of the muzzle getting boogered.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
I make my own aluminum rods.I get 3/8" round stock at the metal shop,cut to length,get them to center drill both ends for 10-32 and tap at home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a good idea. I have a hollow aluminum range rod that you epoxy the inserts in each end. I've had those inserts pull out of the rod while cleaning with a jag and patch, and I clean between each shot. I got real lucky getting them out.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, looking around there sure are a bunch of them!! I like the brass one from RMC and the brass or stainless steel one from Caines outdoors and the Creedmore style from TOTW. So many choices
Will Stainless Steel spark? I know brass and synthetic won`t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts