The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy Santucci attended our sportsmen club meeting tonite. Monday, Mar. 5. Shaner Sportsmen Club. I think 1 of our officers met him at an outdoor show & asked him if he wanted to come to 1 of our meetings. There was about 100 members present. He asked how many of us were happy with the game commission deer management plan. Not ONE hand went up !!! He said this is normal for the sportsmen clubs that he has visited. He gave a little talk & gave his opinion on the deer issues. He also took questions from the members. I asked him where was his bullet proof vest like Gary Ault wore when he would do his deer presentations. He had a good laugh on that. When he was done he got a pretty good round of applause.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I wouldn't let that guy anywhere near my club. He's a joke, and you bought into it, it's a shame.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
time to vote out that officer if I were in that club. Did Randy pass out cool aid for all to drink as well. As for the vest, if you were getting death threats you might wear one yourself when addressing a group of folks minus the "good laugh about it". Keystonepaul

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
If you google Randy Santucci,the infamous interviews with Ted Nugent are posted.The man really needs to start telling the truth and quit referring to our herd in the northcentral part of the state as destroyed and devistated.I live and hunt in that part of the state and hunt the public lands.I'm seeing bigger bucks than I ever saw before,much better habitat and still consistantly killing deer the majority of times I hunt.He also has to get his facts strait concerning the habitat.There isn't a forester I know that wouldn't agtree that the habitat is showing great signs of improvement.The habitat is improving rapidly enough that DCNR just took all but one area out of dmap in district 9.They haven't had to fence a timber sale in over 3 years so the deer management plan is working.Santucci is clueless just like the rest of the Unified spike shooters.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm surprised that people from a location near the Allegheny/Westmoreland border, only 30 minutes from downtown PGH, in the SW corner of the state, would complain about lack of deer! Then again I consider the source......Shaner! LOL

I consistently kill multiple deer a year within a few mile radius of this club. There is no shortage deer there. So these 100 people congregate at this club aren't very good hunters, or they all amazingly also hunt in the northern parts of the state and are just sad that things are not the same as the good old days up there. As DCE stated, the habitat is coming back in the north, and so will a balanced, sustainable heard. Maybe they trucked in supporters?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
If you are in a wmu with poor habitat and you log a section and they don't need to fence because almost no deer show up to feed sounds like randy didn't lie that the herd has been devistated. Whether or not it was needed and to what extent is another matter.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I would just like to see a picture of 100 people at a sportsmen club meeting!!!...has to be 20+ years since I saw something like that.

That is as rare nowadays as a button buck in December, 100 yards from a SGL parking lot.

·
Administrator
28,224 Posts
300,000 deer are killed by hunters in Pa every year. Not bad at all for a state where "the deer herd has been decimated".

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
johnwoodfab said:
Randy Santucci attended our sportsmen club meeting tonite. Monday, Mar. 5. Shaner Sportsmen Club. I think 1 of our officers met him at an outdoor show & asked him if he wanted to come to 1 of our meetings. There was about 100 members present.
Thats pretty good that you got about 1/3 of your members to show up for a monthly meeting

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
or they all amazingly also hunt in the northern parts of the state and are just sad that things are not the same as the good old days up there.
Pretty sure he has a camp "up north" and that's where the brunt of his criticism is directed to.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Maybe some "Clubs" could be the problem!

It seems "clubbers" have difficulty interpreting harvest figures for the last 40 years to see that we consistently have good harvests!

They don't understand that today, we have hunt-able deer in every single county where as in my youth they were limited to far less areas.

Today, we have far less hunters competing for those deer.

Today, even children kill deer on a regular basis.

There is increased game lands and improved habitat for all hunters to enjoy.

Even with HR we are still killing very good numbers of deer and overall they are much, much healthier and we are recording more mature bucks.

I wonder if "clubbers' have read the studies of hunters who hunt within 300 yards of camp while collared deer are left undisturbed 500 yards from camp?

The Santuccis of the world simply want a soapbox for someone to tell them how smart they are. For that, they need a really dxxx audience!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
So he spoke at a sportsmen club and got an applause when he finished. Big deal!! You ever think maybe those that applaused were glad he was done whinning

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Or simply being polite.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
There is a market for his reasoning and line of used oats.

Just as there was 50 years ago when I started deer hunting. Somewhere, someone was complaining about "no deer", even back then.

It's a PA tradition and not a very attractive one.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The Unified Sportsmen's president, Mr. Santucci, was the featured speaker.

I have to wonder if he touched on the topic of the lawsuit they brought and the outcome. I mean, USP now claims in excess of $70,000. - was spent on this effort.

I somehow think he might not have had time to delve into the details of the case. Sure seems a shame that these details went missing.

To that end:

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2336818#Post2336818

So happy to provide this public service, more so after the considerable expense, from sportsmen's donations, and effort Unified put into it.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
What happen to the OP? BTW...does anyone want a piece of venison jerky that I just made from last years buck kill?

I don't tell people where I hunt right along the Westmoreland\Allegheny border....'cause I like to save the bucks for future years.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts