The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today looking for ramsheads, the good news found a bunch at my two favorite trees. The bad news too old and water logged. However, found two new big oaks with a few at the base. I took two volley ball sized ones last saturday and noticed how new growth came off the stem I cut. This is the earliest I have found them. If you leave a few "flowers" on the root will it most likely continue to grow?

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I have some big oaks on my property, both red and white. Do the ramshead prefer one over the other? What oaks have you found the most producing?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Red oak for the most part this year here local but have seen white oak produce more other years and other places.

Yes hen's will keep growing if you don't cut the stem completely off. This year is the first I have actually seen it happen though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got to agree that preference is likely to do with the prodominant spiece of oak in your area. Up in Tioga county, we've found ~3-4 HUGE heads - or what's left of them this time of year - all on big old White Oaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts