The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any ramps poking through yet? I didn't know if they might have an early arrival this year since it was so unexpectedly warm. I can't remember how early I have seen them in the past.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Ya. They are up on the edge of my yard. Have been for a week now anyhow, maybe a bit longer. Not real tall yet, but up and very noticeable.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Man I've got to get out and find some new patches. Had a few nice ones when I lived in SWPA, but since I moved to Central PA I'm lost.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Man I've got to get out and find some new patches. Had a few nice ones when I lived in SWPA, but since I moved to Central PA I'm lost.
Are you anywhere near Altoona? If you are, I'll share.:) Shoot me a PM.

Reactions: NorthPotter

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are morel mushrooms far behind ?
I hope so!! I had very little luck last year. Literally only found 1 under an ash tree where I was trout fishing. Other than that, I totally struck out. I'm in SE PA, and I used to have a good spot back when I was in college about 7 years ago (in the woods behind the campus dorms.) It was awesome! Had the woods all to myself. Went back there last year and everything is so grown up that I don't think it's suitable for morels anymore. Major bummer. I'll be on the hunt again this year though! Got a couple spots picked out. Should only be a couple weeks away, right?

Oh, and are ramps more common to find? Would love to go looking for some this year. Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
They're just starting to come on in Mercer Co. I got a 5 gallon bucketful last night. In about a week they should be all over.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I hope so!! I had very little luck last year. Literally only found 1 under an ash tree where I was trout fishing. Other than that, I totally struck out. I'm in SE PA, and I used to have a good spot back when I was in college about 7 years ago (in the woods behind the campus dorms.) It was awesome! Had the woods all to myself. Went back there last year and everything is so grown up that I don't think it's suitable for morels anymore. Major bummer. I'll be on the hunt again this year though! Got a couple spots picked out. Should only be a couple weeks away, right?

Oh, and are ramps more common to find? Would love to go looking for some this year. Anyone have any tips?
IMO ramps are more common to find, or at least easier to spot. They usually grow in large patches and at this time of year their vibrant green color sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
So they're basically the same as far as taste goes, but "technically", they're still two different plants?
I'm not a plant biologist I can't tell you if there is a true difference between geographical area or even between wild ramps, and leeks you would buy at a store. IMO Ramp is a more southern term used in southern PA and throughout the south- WV, Maryland, VA, etc... I've heard people in northern PA refer to them as leeks. I think in Bradford they have a festival called "stinkfest" and refer to them as leeks.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
That's always been my understanding. Same plant, just called something different depending on geography. Like "pop" vs "soda"

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't think wild ramps and commercial grown leeks have exactly the same taste.
I have grown leeks and they are a lot bigger. I think they are from the same family.
Also if you search if for ramp fests or suppers you will find some coming up, mostly in WV.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts