The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Seems as though every Ramp in Fayette County is in the mountains in extremely rocky soil. What a pain to dig. THEN, I found a patch along the Yough River in Perryopolis in sandy, loamy soil. Wow, what an easy pick that was and spoiled me terrible.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
"your" spot ? You probably just recently found one of my spots of 30 years.
Actually, the patches along the Yough seem to be hit hard since they are exposed to every fisherman and/or bike trailsman that cares to have a taste.

Hey, that's not you picking MY Morels along the river road hill in Monnessen is it ?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No I just moved to Monessen last year. I saw some spots that looked good but I never tried to hit em up. I pick 90 percent of mine by a local river and more than once people have stopped to see what I'm doing. How do you lie when you have 4 bags full and your sitting in the middle of a patch. People always say I know where you pick mushrooms I sEe your truck there. I tell them go ahead and go cause if I already went there you better have a good recipe for stems.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I got married and my money went a lot further there than where I work. I work in Rostraver Twp. I grew up in Perryopolis. Eventually I will go back when the funds straighten out. Wife is graduating CAL U this semester so hopefully not too long. I spent my years growing up in Whitsett at 308HAVOCS house. Aaaahhh the times

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
boy fleroo and 6.5-284bmf you guys must of lived close to my home place of lower tyron township because i can probly find every spot you two menchind around perryopoils and layton

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Spent some time there too Matthew. Good friend of mine is moving onto a farm in LT right near Little Brownfield Community Center

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I grow them near my house. I transplanted some there about 8 yrs. ago or so. Yes you can transplant them, and yes they will come up every single year, and yes they will spread. Not even poked through as of now, but I'm in a hollow and the microclimate is quite cold.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My leeks are about four inches high and look like red spikes coming out of the ground. It will be a few weeks before they show leaves. (that is Warren County)

Kinzua Man

1 - 20 of 23 Posts