The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ramps (Wild Leeks) are just starting to poke up here in Washington County. Mostly from 2" to 3" out of the ground so far. Good bit late, which was to be expected after the hard winter. My Garlic is also starting to poke up... 'bout the same size as the ramps. SOOO, things should get going a bit if we can hold some warmer temps. Morel's should be late compared to the past many years as well. BUT, that will be a good thing, as the unseasonal heat here in SW PA, has been killing the Morel season by the 1st week of May most of the recent past years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Haha I was gonna post a similar thread today as I just got in from picking the first ramps of the year today. Gonna fry up some with potatoes tonight and can't wait. Anybody have some good recipes using ramps post em up. These are nice bite to them.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I was going to take a drive past my local ramp patch to see if any were poking up yet. I transplanted some in the woods around my house last year. No sign of them yet but I'm hoping they took.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have never found leeks in Cumberland county. I always find them in the northern counties of the state. Has anyone ever found them in York or Cumberland counties.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I was working in the yard yesterday and decided to check the woodlot next to my yard. Sure enough, the ramps were popping up. Time to go picking further into the woods.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I haven't checked it yet, but I have an area in Cambria that is usually loaded. If anybody wants some and can keep their mouth shut, I'll share.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just got done picking a bunch here in chester county as they are just the right size to pickle up a bunch. Nothing like a campfire, cold beer and some pickled leeks mmmmm. Omelets in the morning!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Picked a Walmart bag full of ramps this past week in washco. Had enough to fill 3 racks on the dehydrater. They make a great homemade spice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts