The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ramps usually pop out about mid-April around here. Anybody find any yet? They are usually guaranteed to be out by the time trout season rolls around in 2 weeks but who's to say considering this winter we had and the couple of inches of snow that fell here yesterday.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I've never had much luck finding them. I've got the morels covered but the ramps always seem to elude me. Do most of my hunting in Washington County.

·
Registered
342 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......i can already hear my co-workers complaining about the smell in the office:)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black&Gold_Buck said:
Where (what type of woods) does one usually find ramps? My uncle always use to buy them at this time of year, but we never went looking for them. I'm in 2B and 2C, it varies lol.
Most of what I find are in the hardwoods around maple and cherry. I replanted some by my house in the crabapples and they seem to be doing great! I just looked this afternoon, no sign of them yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What kind of pistol is that?

This thread piqued my interest yesterday and I used the old interweb to research ramps. I came across an annual ramp festival that takes place right near the PA/WV border by 79 during the third week of April. Has anyone attended this in the past... I'm interested in going.

There's also another ramp festival up in north PA.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Westline Inn has an annual Leek Festival I believe in May sometime. Not exactly sure on the date but it's usually a good time..

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smj8322 said:
The Westline Inn has an annual Leek Festival I believe in May sometime. Not exactly sure on the date but it's usually a good time..
It's kind of a mixture around here, a few people call them leeks, to most they are ramps. There is a big ramp festival in Elkins, West Virginia. Nothing like trying a ramp pizza at the local fox's Pizza in Elkins.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I can't wait to dig some next week when I'm at camp. We put them in the dehydrator then grind them into powder for seasoning. We use it on just about everything. Its very good on fried eggs.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i make at least one batch of ramp soup every spring. i'm the only one who eats it though. i know an area that is covered in them every year.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Buckethead said:
I can't wait to dig some next week when I'm at camp. We put them in the dehydrator then grind them into powder for seasoning. We use it on just about everything. Its very good on fried eggs.
Details? I'm intrigued!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The smaller ones we put on the dehydrator whole, the larger ones we slice in half. We put some of the leaves on too. We run them in the food dehydrator until they're completely dry (makes the whole house smell like leeks). We then put them in a Magic Bullet blender and grind to a fine powder then put it in a salt shaker. I use it on any kind of meat as a seasoning, add it to my marinades, put it on soup, etc. Basically anything you might use garlic powder on, I use leek powder. And like I said, it just seems to go really well with fried eggs.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buckethead said:
The smaller ones we put on the dehydrator whole, the larger ones we slice in half. We put some of the leaves on too. We run them in the food dehydrator until they're completely dry (makes the whole house smell like leeks). We then put them in a Magic Bullet blender and grind to a fine powder then put it in a salt shaker. I use it on any kind of meat as a seasoning, add it to my marinades, put it on soup, etc. Basically anything you might use garlic powder on, I use leek powder. And like I said, it just seems to go really well with fried eggs.
Thanks Buckethead! I never thought of that but that sounds great!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yep, this is definitely going to happen. Think a regular blender, or a coffee grinder would work?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
A coffee grinder will work pretty good. That's what I used before my wife bought that magic bullet. It doesn't grind it as fine but I just used a shaker with bigger holes. I imagine a regular blender will work as well. My buddy told me the leeks around here are just starting to peek up out of the ground. I don't think the ones at camp will be showing but I know where a bunch grow and I 'll be able to find some under the carpet of leaves.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts