The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a stroll through my favorite little place to find Ramps thinkin it might be a bit early? They are up and are everywhere!!!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yes...they are like a wild onion.

Just a little word of advice...if you eat them plan to smell from both ends for the rest of the day

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey bonzy, those are nice pics. we been smellin for couple weeks now. scratched the leaves away at first, just couldn't wait. they went good with the deer steak and oyster mushrooms we had this past Sunday.

·
Registered
996 Posts
hmmm....mine are good size up here in susquehanna county. They should be up all over the state by now. I took a ride up i-81 and I could see the all over the highway.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I find them a lot in stream valleys. Flood plains are great places to look and the picking there is usually pretty easy.

·
Registered
684 Posts
This is my first time trying to find them. I was out sunday looking for some but didn't find any yet. I am gonna try a different area this weekend.

When arent they any good? Like do they go to seed? Do you still pick them?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I found a ton of them this morning while trout fishing. Now I just gotta figure out what to do with them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do you dig them out, or just trim off the leaves?

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
You dig them up, trying not to cut or gash the bulbs which are underground. When they're young, like now, I use the whole plant; the leafes are still tender yet. Wash them off real good especially between the leafes were there is dirt. Trim the roots off and your're ready to go. I just stuff as many as I can in a big frying pan with some melted butter and fry them slowly till they're nice and soft. Maybe alittle salt and pepper. In the northern parts of our state in May many places have ham and leek dinners. Some very good eating; deinitely worthwhile if you get the chance to go to one. As the plant gets older a long flower stem emerges from the middle and has a small cluster of flowers through the summer turns into a seed pod in the fall.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Found a patch today along the yough river. I'm going back tomorrow with a small shovel!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bearclaw said:
You dig them up, trying not to cut or gash the bulbs which are underground. When they're young, like now, I use the whole plant; the leafes are still tender yet. Wash them off real good especially between the leafes were there is dirt. Trim the roots off and your're ready to go. I just stuff as many as I can in a big frying pan with some melted butter and fry them slowly till they're nice and soft. Maybe alittle salt and pepper. In the northern parts of our state in May many places have ham and leek dinners. Some very good eating; deinitely worthwhile if you get the chance to go to one. As the plant gets older a long flower stem emerges from the middle and has a small cluster of flowers through the summer turns into a seed pod in the fall.
Can they be harvested to eat all season, or are they best before the flower appears?

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
You want get them now if you can. Once the flower stem even starts to appear, they're getting tough already, you'll also notice that leaves start turning yellow. Some guys even pick them in this stage, just using the bulb and pickle them. You better have a strong stomach then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts