The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as I can't speak to the "Deer situation" of every region in the state, I can't speak to the "Ramp situation" in each either. That said, THEY'RE UP here in deep Southwestern, PA. If you like them on the young side, go get 'em. They're seemingly between 3-5" for the most part. With temps moderating this week, you can probably get them by the wheelbarrow load next week.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I can never find these things, they are like unicorns to me every spring.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
There is a massive patch of them that grows behind my house every spring. They are not up here as of yet but spring always comes later here in the mountains. Usually by the time trout season begins in mid-April is when ramp picking time begins. Fresh caught trout stuffed with fresh ramps and winter cress cooking over an open fire in the springtime woods is hard to beat!

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
trapperrick said:
There is a massive patch of them that grows behind my house every spring. They are not up here as of yet but spring always comes later here in the mountains. Usually by the time trout season begins in mid-April is when ramp picking time begins. Fresh caught trout stuffed with fresh ramps and winter cress cooking over an open fire in the springtime woods is hard to beat!
Sounds awesome

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I kicked some leaves out of the way last weekend at camp and found some starting to poke through. Picked a few, minced them up and mixed them into my deer burgers.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
How do you know what they look like? I love leeks but never looked for wild ones.

·
Registered
388 Posts
they are up here in Armstrong County!
A pleasure to lift to yer lips!!!!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Didn't see any of my patch up today. But I didn't get outta the truck seat either. Hafta look closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
They're starting to poke through here in Mercer Co. I'll be digging them next weekend. Got to make some more leek poweder.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dug a 3 gallon bucketful yesterday forenoon. Had ham&ramps for dinner. Some in the tater salad today.
Life is good!!!!

·
Registered
20,685 Posts
They're up in Westmoreland county. At least the part of Westmoreland county that encompasses my yard. I don't eat em, so it doesn't matter to me, but my wife and son had some today.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Never found any in Cumberland or York counties. Anyone willing to send me in the right direction? Please pm me. Maybe we can trade for something?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts