The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Hillbilly's post in the gas mileage thread, did not want to highjack that thread. Hillbilly, you said your wife had a 14 Jeep with that engine.
How is the power, and overall drivability of it?
Is the pick up on any lots yet, any feedback or estimated mileage on it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Jeep runs great! It's also quiet and you can not smell the diesel. Although, I've only driven it a few hundered miles...since it is her's of course. Compared to my HEMI, it lags from a complete stop but that is something to be expected of froma desiel. Once up to speed and on the open road, passing it has the feel of the a big V-8. Haven't towed anything with that however, its rated better than my 1500. She's getting about 26 MPG right now and as I said before that was her driving in 4WD and in the cold. I can assume that it should climb close to 30 "IF" the weather ever breaks.

NO trucks are at the dealers yet. However, they just started ordering them on 1 FEB. Just go into the dealer build your truck they way you want it...Tradesman, Big Horn, Long HOrn, or just a plian ole work truck. and throw that ECO motor in.

The downside to it is that all the other trucks (GAS) have about 4-6k in rebates that you won't see cuz you're ordering the fancy new ECO. Although, if Chrysler changes thier mind and starts offering the rebates beofer your truck arrives you can take advantage of them. Looking about 6-8 weeks for delivery. Prob sooner but that is the company line according to the dealer.

I got it for the increased towing capability with out having to switch to a 2500 seris pick up. Plus the MPG helped in making that choice as well.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I am certainly intrigued by the 1/2 ton diesel. Will be interesting to see how it works in the truck, but should be a great set up!!
Keep in mind, Winter blend fuel also hurts MPG, along with the habit of hitting remote start and letting it warm up, so yes, I would expect better MPG from a diesel in the Summer. My pick up, as well as my big trucks all do better MPG in the Summer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
a youtube page had a review of the 1500 diesel that I was watching. Looks like a cool truck, but with a starting price of somewhere like $50k, who knows how well they will sell. You could get a leftover 3/4 ton for somewhere around that. I'm also interested to see how the Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins V8 is going to be. I wonder if we will see half ton diesels from Ford or Chevy if the Dodge and Nissan take off. You would think they would almost have to. I can't wait to see some on the road and hear some reviews about them. I also wonder how they'd sound straight piped

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chevy had theirs on the board and working on it before the economy(and them) collapsed. Not sure where it stands now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm really intrigued by the Ram EcoDiesel and how it will perform in a half ton. I get 16 to 18 with my 2011 Ram with Hemi and couldn't imagine 28 mpg. Price wise it will add a few bucks but all full size pickup prices have increased quite a bit. I work at a dealership and believe we will be able to sell them. Here's a article with more details about it. http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/02/ram-diesel-official-mileage

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<span style="font-weight: bold">The diesel engine adds $2,850 to the cost of the 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi; the diesel includes the eight-speed automatic,</span>

Took the above from the link you posted. That's not a bad price increase for what your getting.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I tow a heavy horsetrailer most weekends and debated buyng a diesel for years.A few years ago I found a used 06 duramax that they guy only wanted the payoff for.I paid a little over 13k for a truck that dealers were asking right around 25k forAt this point,as long as I'm towing heavy loads,I couldn't imagine buying a gas truck ever again.I also can't imagine paying 60k for something that I beat on pretty hard.I'd probably be willing to pay $2850 for a diesel in a half ton.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hilbilly said:
I ordered mine on Monday...a Big Hirn Package and its not even clos3 to the 50K as mentioned in an earlier post.
Sorry about that, I must have had bad info on it then. I could have sworn it said they start at or around $50k. If you don't mind me asking, what did your come out to total? Hopefully they really take off, it's neat to see a diesel in a half ton.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No worries Rephy,

What I found out thanks to a buddy of mine who works at a dealer in VA is that not all dealerships price their inventory the same. Some sell at the MSPR minus any rebates/incentives others will sell at a Preferd Pricing which is discount to larger organizations in the area. Some delaers will sell at Employee pricing. With that said, find the dealership that sells their inventory at Employee pricing. That disount is about 2.5k less than MSRP, on top of that any rebates/incentives that are offered come off that price as well. The dealer even reduced the price further just so I would finance with them vice using my own credit union.

I actually looked at a 3500 Longhorn dually 4x4 the sticker price was 67k after rebates/incentives and employee pricing I could have had that truck for 55K. However, that was way out of my price range but still a good deal if I could have afforded it IMO.

I ended up paying 42k for mine before my trade and down payment.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If these trucks can actually do 25mpg city and crowd 30 highway......they will very soon be the best selling trucks....until Chevy/Ford come out with theirs.
That is very good MPG , and still have the power to tow/haul.

This truck is actually a contributing factor to why I am not trading my 2011 this year. I want to see/drive this truck, and see what Chevy/Ford got coming to compete with it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Been trying to decide if I want to trade my 12 in on one of these. I just bought a new camper last year and while mine has plenty of capacity for the camper (4.7) a little more would be better. I may wait a couple years till they get the bugs worked out. Just not sure. lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
buzz said:
If these trucks can actually do 25mpg city and crowd 30 highway......they will very soon be the best selling trucks....until Chevy/Ford come out with theirs.
That is very good MPG , and still have the power to tow/haul.

This truck is actually a contributing factor to why I am not trading my 2011 this year. I want to see/drive this truck, and see what Chevy/Ford got coming to compete with it.
I think Ford is hedging their bets on increasing fuel mileage by reducing a trucks weight. It will be interesting to see how that pans out for them vs the small diesel engine.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My money is on the diesel...

They can only put so much aluminum and plastic in them to lighten them up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dealer called and my truck has arrived!!! Going tonight to pick it up

Although, I'm now second guessing my decision…with the current price of diesel, even though I will get better MPG is the tradeoff worth it at the pump?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking forward to hearing how you like it, for power and MPG.

·
4,230 Posts
I thought that Ford was coming out with a diesel for the F150 as well. Don't remember where I read it but I thought it was just around the corner.

A friend of mine has a Jeep Liberty with a CRD in it. Overall he is satisfied but I know he has had problems with it here and there. I certainly imagine that Chrysler has worked out bugs since then.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts