The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right forum. Curious does anyone raise their own worms? What do you use for bedding & how often do you change the bedding. I am using shredded newspaper & change bedding every three months. Thinking of changing to pear moss.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
Check out Magic worm bedding. They sell the bedding, worm farms and worm food.

Also try to get a copy of the book "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers". It has some good info about raising and fishing with nightcrawlers.

Reactions: STD84

·
Premium Member
24,273 Posts
Years ago I use to use a product called Buzz Bedding but a quick google gave no hits. Likely was similar to the Magic bedding mentioned. It was a medium that had food and kept worms for many months.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I just get mine from the garden. I agreed with Pat Mcmanus when he said, "There is nothing like a couple of good rototillings to give a night crawler character. :smile_big:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When I was a kid I raised them in the cellar, it had a dirt floor so we built a bottomless box about 8 inches deep and set it on the floor. We filled it with Buss bedding and occasionally would put coffee grounds in the box for food. I would hunt crawlers on drizzly nights on a baseball and soccer field that was close to my house. I raised them for years, always had enough for my dad and brothers and I and I sold some to local fishermen who knew I had them. One think you have to do is carefully go through the box at least weekly and use your nose. One dead crawler will kill others and it stinks to high heaven as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I agree. Just changed the bedding & added some that I caught the other night. I found 3 that did not look good, got rid of them. Inventory showed 129 adults , 11 young, & 12 cocoons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts