The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
They <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> smell and they are <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> friendly. Pets they are not. Regardless of little ditties you may have heard, mink can be hard to get to breed. If you have a successful mating never let the male anywhere near the little ones. They require a specialized diet if you wish to keep your mink healthy. Other than that I know nothing about raising mink.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I know a lot about catching farm raised mink. LOL
If the ranch up the road will just lose a few more Ill be able to make a coat. LOL

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
OldMink said:
They always smell and they are never friendly. Pets they are not. Regardless of little ditties you may have heard, mink can be hard to get to breed. If you have a successful mating never let the male anywhere near the little ones. They require a specialized diet if you wish to keep your mink healthy. Other than that I know nothing about raising mink.
Yep, OldMink is right on. A ton of work and not much fun.

Nasty critters. I've seen one of the litter draws blood and they all dive in and eat it. I've known of guys that thought they had one tamed, only to end up with stitches.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sec. 2930. Propagating permits.
(a) Authorization.--No person shall propagate any game bird, wild bird, game animal or wild animal which is presently found in a wild state within this Commonwealth for the purpose of sale, barter, gift or other transfer of possession, or offer to sell or barter, unless that person has first obtained a permit from the commission authorizing the propagation of a game bird, wild bird, game animal or wild animal.
(b) Form.--Each propagating permit shall name the species covered by the permit and shall contain such other information and be in such form as the commission shall designate.
(c) Pens, shelters and enclosures.--The commission shall adopt regulations concerning the type and size of pens, shelters and enclosures used for propagating any species of game or wildlife. All pens, shelters or enclosures used to hold game or wildlife under authority of a propagating permit shall provide for the health and comfort of the game or wildlife and be designed to protect the public, confine the species designated on the permit and exclude any species of game or wildlife which might be present in the wild.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Too many regulations and you are at the mercy of the market. The last couple of years have been great for the mink rancher but how long would it last.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts