The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up at camp for the weekend, plots are struggling. Had too much rain after I first planted and now I don't have enough.
One good thing is my smartweed that I sprayed with round up is really taking a beating!

My North field is about shot though. Think I'll mow, spray the whole field again and let it sit until late August. I'll plant my fall plot in rape,oats and clover.
Anyone have any thoughts on Buck Forage Oats over regular oats?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I mowed my clover on Saturday, hopefully they will get some rain the end of the week.

Things are just parched.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
We mowed the clover a few weeks ago then had some rain.
My son just got to camp and said the clover is looking great.It won't be for long if we don't get rain.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My clover that doesn't get shade is starting to cook and go dormant. The plots that get shade look fantastic though. I had mowed mine about a month ago.

I've never planted BFO but they seem to be putting out some untruthful advertising about brassicas. I doubt I would have planted them anyway but definately won't now. You pay a lot of money for that buck on the bag

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I'm hoping to plant a rape/turnip mix in the third week of July.But if it's like this I'll probably hold off and plant a rye/oat/pea mixture in late August.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Contact Chirs at Hilltop Seeds (see banner above), the last time you paid for commercial bagged seed should be the last time. That is what I am doing now. I still lokk at the mixes the big companies come up with but just for ideas.

He well mix up what you need...even comes with advice. I like seed that comes in a feed bag tied with twine...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have planted BFO a couple times, the last time I split a plot with BFO and rye. I couldn't tell any difference in the amount of use between the two crops.

The one thing I did notice was that (at least where I am) the BFO tended to winter over, I don't know if other oats do that or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts