The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the weather forecasts for next week. Looks like rain for the rifle opener. I hope things change between now and then, as I am looking forward to taking the flintlock hunting. I hunt special regs so may be forced to take the shotgun if it does rain. I don't like deer hunting with a shotgun, but also don't like subjecting my flintlock to rain either. I'll have to make a choice I guess. Either way I'm not missing out on the opener.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I've been watching that forecast also. It has changed almost daily between mostly cloudy, snow, rain and rain/snow mix for the last 6 days. And will likely change again over the next couple days. Watch the forecast Sunday evening and you'll know what will happen...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I don't doubt the forecast will change between now and Monday. I'm just hoping it just doesn't change for the worst. Its always a let down when you wait all year for a certain day, only to have the weather take a dump on you.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I too am hoping for some positive change in the forecast. I'll be hunting SWPA on Monday, but I'm planning to return home(central PA) after the hunt. I can handle a little rain when I'm out hunting, but I'm more concerned with having to drive 3 hrs home in possible ice/snow.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Why should Monday be any different than the rest of this year. I was talking today with my niece who is a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Moon, near Pittsburgh. According to her, this year could possibly set a record here in Western Pa. as the wettest year ever.

I’m sick of it.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Long range for Monday along the Delaware River in NE PA indicates a day of rain. After many years of opening days of rain, this seasoned citizen will most likely stay inside with a good book or work on a powder horn and stir the soup from time to time.

Be safe, keep your powder as dry as you can, and aim small to miss small. Best of luck to all flintlockers!:wink2:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked Wx forecast again this morning. Forecast now is chance of rain, percentage down to 40% from 80% last night.

They need to resurrect Jim Obrien from the dead. For those who don't know he was a local weather guy from channel 6 in Philly back in the late 70's early 80's (got killed sky diving ). That guy had a grainy satellite photo and a cartoon drawing of the united states and yet his forecasts were something like 96% accurate....These people today have all this technology yet couldn't predict where their arse will be an hour from now.....Go figure.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
We have access at work to several weather websites that are pretty accurate. For SW PA right now, they are calling for 40% chance of rain ending by 11 AM.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If only they would start the season on Sunday.......

Sun
NOV 25 Partly Cloudy
50°36°

10%
NW 5 mph 80%

Sorry, I had to..........

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Checked Wx forecast again this morning. Forecast now is chance of rain, percentage down to 40% from 80% last night.

They need to resurrect Jim Obrien from the dead. For those who don't know he was a local weather guy from channel 6 in Philly back in the late 70's early 80's (got killed sky diving ). That guy had a grainy satellite photo and a cartoon drawing of the united states and yet his forecasts were something like 96% accurate....These people today have all this technology yet couldn't predict where their arse will be an hour from now.....Go figure.
Looks like he called it wrong big time when he boarded the plane.:surprise2:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks like he called it wrong big time when he boarded the plane.:surprise2:
No he didn't call anything wrong, but he did make a wrong choice that day.. Story was he got tangled with a fellow sky diver while doing some maneuver. He cut loose in an attempt to save his friend and unfortunately he was too low for his reserve chute to open. Sad thing was the friend in an interview said had they stayed together they might have gotten hurt but they'd both have been alive. Jim's daughter is an actress who played on the show Fraser.....She was the brunette, I forget her name, not the English chick, the other one. He was also a pilot. He soloed in the same type of aircraft I did, a Piper Tomahawk.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I met Jim as a little kid. My dad was the chief news photographer for WPVI for 38 years and worked with Jim. It was a pretty dark day in my house when the news of his death came into the station. Lisa Thomas-Laury couldn't even make it through delivering the report.

Jim did an amazing Job with the weather. He definitely lived on the edge and enjoyed adventure. If I remember correctly, along with his sky diving passion, he rode from the East Coast to Alaska on his motorcycle.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I remember the day he died. Jim Gardner also almost lost it while on air. Was a very sad day. Jim used to call his motorcycle the chrome pony. His daughter's name is Perry Gilpin or something like that IIRC now.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You want something funny, watching the weather yesterday morning through about 2 hours. Every time they came on with the forecast they would up our expected snow total. It started off at 7ish with a total of 4-8 inches. By 9am they were saying places could see 2.5 to 3 foot by Thurs.

Face it, every storm they act like you should stick your head between your legs and kiss your ___ goodbye. Funny, it's rarely THAT bad. Ok, the 7' of snow last xmas was a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Now Saturday is looking pretty sketchy as well.

Here's the GFS model for 1 PM Saturday. Still a long, long, long way out in weather forecasting but we live in the rainforest now so it'll probably only get worse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts