The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you have read, we close on our camp Friday. I have to put railings up for my children’s safety and for homeowners insurance on the porches. Tools are ready to go into the truck, trailer is loaded with enough sheep and goat fence. Lumber list is just about finalized. I’m just debating how high to make them. I believe code is a minimum of 36
Inches. I am 6’3” and I think 36 may be a bit low. I’m thinking about a gathering of people standing around shooting the crap leaning on the railing..

Has anyone made theirs taller for this reason? What’s the optimum height?
Image below is what I’m going to install.

Thanks all!
Sorry for the camp tidbits! I’ll get a post up early next week with the camp details!
Property Photograph Product Wood Font

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
What we have found with all of our railing, is the height sitting in chairs and not being able to see over it. Seems like the top is right at eye level when sitting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As long as it meets minimum height for code, make them what you want. The only limiting factor is the height of that screening affecting placement of the bottom rail. You can not have any spacing that will allow a 4" sphere to pass through.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As a residential carpenter that installs on avg. 1 rail system/week I find 39-41" being optimal. Sometimes I need to vary dependant on other rails tying in. Code on the steps is 34" and 4 3/8 spacing on that rake.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
OSHA requires 42" +/- 3", if that helps.
Ours is 42". I don't remember where we came up with that number but it was a published source, maybe a carpenter's or builder's manual.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Now I need to measure mine. The old one was too low to allow clearance on rainy days for older guys who did not want to get wet and we made this one higher. I need to finish it to prevent climbing...

·
Registered
25,936 Posts
On all the decks I've built over the years, kept the bottom 2x4 at least FOUR inches off the deck. You'll appreciate that when pushing snow off under it.

42" to the top rail from the deck, will usually put it right at eye level for an average sized adult sitting in a folding lawn chair. When I built the front deck on our camp addition, left the vertical 4x4s at 42" above the deck surface, figuring dad would drop the top rails a bit when he finished it? He stayed behind to finish up, I had to return home and go back to work.

He ran the 2x4s flat on the top of the posts, with another 2x4 "on edge" under them for support.. Then blamed me for not being able to see over them afterwards, when sitting out there. Had to hear about that for another 15 years.

😕

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
I believe our railing height is 42". We can se over them nicely except if it`s right in front of the porch. And like Denny F said the snow goes thru underneath the bottom real nice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou all for the recommendations. Never thought of the snow going under it better at 4 inches than 3.5.
probably going 42 inches high and on the bottom 4 inches to the toe plate! Construction begins Friday! Trailer is just about loaded!

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
I’m at camp…just went out and measured. The front porch has cedar round rails / spindles…it’s 36” high, 3” off the floor on the bottom. The side deck has pressure treated lumber…it’s 44” high, 4” of the floor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m at camp…just went out and measured. The front porch has cedar round rails / spindles…it’s 36” high, 3” off the floor on the bottom. The side deck has pressure treated lumber…it’s 44” high, 4” of the floor.
thanks bigbrownie! I won’t be far away!

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Years ago at our old camp members would relieve themselves off the porch. We had the measurement all figured out by one of our members. When he was a young lad he used to put it under the rail so he wouldn't pee in his face. When he got older he put it on top of the railing so he wouldn't pee on his shoes. Not sure what that height was anymore!

Reactions: Lurch12
1 - 15 of 15 Posts