The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still new to crossbows so I still have much to learn. So todays question is, how often should I be putting the slippery stuff on ? THANKS

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I'm going to say never. The stuff usually allows the string to become contaminated with dirt grit and grim. I'll clean the rail once in a while because of the serving wax build up. I shoot an Excalibur.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you do not lube the rail you will wear out your serving much sooner. When you wax your string do not wax your serving. When you rewax your string clean it first. You should lube about every 10 - 15 shots.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The owners manual for my Carbon Express 390 Pile driver recommends lubing the rails and string and cables after every 25 shots.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, it doesn't address cleaning the string, in addition I edited my post above because when I looked for info on cleaning the string I saw I must need new glasses. It says re- lube after 25 shots, not 5. You might want to pm dpms about cleaning the string, he does some testing oncrossbows.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
You can lube the rail every 20-30 shots. I like to wipe most of it off so that only a sheen remains. I do not like thick gunky rail lube but prefer thin lube like 30-06 Xfuel 325. Thick rail lube can be pulled back into the trigger latch and begin to gum it up.

Wax your string and cables liberally once a season and use friction between your fingers and the string to melt the wax in. Clean them with a damp cloth.

Replace them every 3 three years if you do a lot of shooting or if you notice the center serving separating to the point where the string latch is contacting the string material.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a 2011 Tenpoint Stealth and put a small drop on each side of the rail. That usually lasts the whole season, unless I get caught in a rain, and then I will clean the rail and relube. When I bought it, the guy at the archery shop had the oil smeared everywhere, the felt on the claw of the Accudraw was so saturated, it fell of in 5 days, I called Tenpoint and they said the guy had no idea what he was doing and told me every 50 shots. A few guys I shoot with, want to lube the rails after just 5 or 10 shots. You get to much oil on and are moving around the woods, the oil will pick up a lot of debris. I wax the string in September and then again before putting away for storage after the season. It still amazes me how long a string will hold up, when you look at the sharp angle of the string when these bows are cocked for hours at a time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can lube the rail every 20-30 shots. I like to wipe most of it off so that only a sheen remains. I do not like thick gunky rail lube but prefer thin lube like 30-06 Xfuel 325. Thick rail lube can be pulled back into the trigger latch and begin to gum it up.

Wax your string and cables liberally once a season and use friction between your fingers and the string to melt the wax in. Clean them with a damp cloth.

Replace them every 3 three years if you do a lot of shooting or if you notice the center serving separating to the point where the string latch is contacting the string material.
Agree for rail lube I like the thin slippery stuff.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use graphite like same as pine box derby cars use on wheels no friction no mess sprinkle on the rail and wipe down with clean soft cloth

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I use 30-06 X-Fuel for rail lube. Put a few dots on each side of the rail wipe back and forth and clean with a paper towel. It will remain slippery long after you think you removed it. Another product called 30-06 Arrow Snot is the same stuff with a different label.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts