The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Mission Dagger and they sold me some rail lube, no specific instructions with it. How often/how much should I put on?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Mission's website, under "support" "FAQ's" recommends applying the rail lube every 15 to 20 shots. The lube is meant to protect the string, so you need to apply the lube to the flat tops of the rail over which the string rides during cocking and shooting. I was also told to apply the lube to the outside vertical faces of the rail to reduce the noise created by my cocking rope hooks rubbing on the rail as I cock it. As for how much to use, use just enough to coat the surface, smooth it out with your fingertip if you need to. Any excess will only run off, so no point in using too much. You'll figure it out by trial and error.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I just bought my Mission the shop told me to make sure the rail looks wet. If it looks like it getting dry spots put some lube on it.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
I basically don't use any. I may put some one once a year and that is just a light coat. I used to put on more when I first got a crossbow, but I don't see any difference in string wear and it can lead to getting dirt and oil into the trigger box. I do wax the string regularly though.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I just started with a crossbow so I purchased a Barnett and their wax is also a lube. They say apply to string after every 5th shot and on the rail about every 20.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
cspot said:
I basically don't use any. I may put some one once a year and that is just a light coat. I used to put on more when I first got a crossbow, but I don't see any difference in string wear and it can lead to getting dirt and oil into the trigger box. I do wax the string regularly though.
Thanks for chiming in with that thought. I had that same concern.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Every mfg has their own specifications for "rail care" on their individual crossbows. I found that first of all keep your string waxed good is the main upkeep to these faster crossbows.

As far as lubeing the rail, I personally dont like my rail to stay "wet" because everything between your house and your treestand will find away to stick to it! What I do is take a rag and spray a silicone drying lube on it and wipe the rail down with it anytime it gets dirty or every few days of hunting, it will still leave a trace of lube on the rail but will not attract dirt and debris.

I believe lubeing the rail every 5-15 shots ect is over kill and will build up in your serving possibly causing other maintanence issues over time as dirt and debris will also imbed into the serving over time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For clarification, I didn't say the rail should "stay wet". It should look wet, meaning shiny or a glossy look to it. I agree that too much can be detrimental because of dirt collection etc. The same goes for a gun.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I now use a product called "arrow snot" It's designed to make arrows easier to pull from 3D targets. It works great for rail lube. I put it on the rail and use a paper towel to buff it all back off. By doing this, there is nothing left on the barrel for the dirt and grime to stick to. It leaves the rail clean, dry and slippery as a bass belly...LOL.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
I lube after about 20-30 shots but use it very sparingly. I put a drop or two on the rail and wipe most of it off with my finger. All that is left is a "sheen". Too much just encourages dirt and other unwanted materials to cling to your string and get back into your trigger and latch area.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When I got my Tenpoint Stealth, the guy at the shop put way to much on the rails. He said to apply every 10 shots. There was so much lube that the pad on the claw for the accu-draw got saturated and fell off after only a few shots. I called Tenpoint and they said to apply a small drop on each rail after 75 shots. I agree with the others, that to much oil attracts debris and dirt onto the rails. I do wax the string quite often.

·
Banned
540 Posts
Stuff called rail snot.
it is snot. Shiny stuff
and sticky. I do mine
every I shoot it. But
I also lube trigger box with
ballistol. For me doesn't matter
as I have a matrix 380. Trigger [censored] from new.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Just to clarify....I didn't like the "Rail Snot" they make for the rail. I use the stuff they make for easy arrow removal called "Arrow Snot". Rail snot looks like vaseline and that stuff collects dirt. Arrow snot is a clear fluid and wipes clean letting a slight sheen on the rails.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a great idea. I'd be afraid it would void the warranty. It would have to work as good as any lube though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts