The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
Wax couple times a year. Lube the rail every 50 shots or so.

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
BTW, I never wax the center serving. Attracts gunk which get in the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
arrowhead said:
I never use rail lube, but if I were to use any it would be Jig-A-Loo.
Maybe you've elaborated on this in the past, and I missed it. (If so, I'm sorry about asking for a repeat.) Are you doing something else to protect the serving, do you not find the rail lube effective, or is there some other reason for not using rail lube? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Rail lube will drag dirt into your trigger/string latch area and cause a condition where you won't be able to cock your bow. The trigger will have to be serviced to get it to cock again. It is a factory service item and will have to go back to the factory.

On a side note, I had a customer bring in a PSE Copperhead last fall. The barrel looked like it had been sanded with 80 grit sandpaper. I had shot over 1000 shots through a copperhead and mine looked like new. He used rail lube and I didn't. The rail lube actually caused it to wear faster.

·
Registered
19,298 Posts
Although I do lube the rail on my bows I should clarify how I apply it.

I wipe it on with my finger then take a cotton cloth and polish most of it off just so that is has a sheen or looks shiny. Too much lube will jamb up the latch area.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Thanks for the answer; makes sense. So you use nothing, correct? Do you do anything else to make the serving last? Think I saw mention on another board of wrapping it with gut (forget if that was the exact term used, but something like that).

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I use Halo serving and lately I've been experminting with Angel Majesty serving. Both of these servings will last much longer than most of the factory servings. A few manufacturers have switched to Halo and some are using Angel Majesty.
The quality of your serving has much to do with how long it lasts. I got 25 shots from my factory servings on one of my high end bows, switched to Angel Majesty and it now has over 100 shots and isn't showing any wear. I didn't use rail lube on either serving. The bow has a camo string deck and it doesn't show any signs of wear. I'm sorry, but I don't have any idea what gut is.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't have any idea what gut is.
LoL, I don't either; I probably don't have it quite right.

Thanks for the explanation though. I probably have 60 shots through the bushwacker so far, and the serving shows some wear, but I don't think it's too bad yet. At least now I know what to look for/ask for when it's time to re-serve.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
i never wax the rail, just the string....the rail will get a wax build up from the string....i keep the rail as clean as possible so it does collect any grit in the wax
...........bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts