The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
My opinion, its the best head on the market. I took my grandson on 2 hunts and there was very little tracking. (20 or 30 yds both times) shots were not perfect. Myself, I always found my animal in less than 20 yds

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i also know of a guy that just shot a big hog down south with one and it dropped in 20. i like the regular ones in my compound.
probably try the 125gr.

·
Registered
12,363 Posts
My Dad and Mom have been using them for years. They used the regular ones and now use the crossbow heads. They have had really good luck with them and like them alot.

In my opinion any of the popular brands will kill a deer with monotonous regularity if it shoots accurately in your setup. The one key to expandables is checking to make sure the locking mechanism, bands, etc are in good working order everytime that you get in the stand.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does anyone have any issues with these heads coming open in flight when used in crossbows pushing 400fps? I was thinking about trying these but wanted some honest feedback.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wanted to take the time to revisit this thread. I have ALWAYS been a fixed blade guy but through time I really honestly believe Rage has taken care of issues and complaints. They actually have listened to their customer base. Instead of the nasty rivets in the ferrules the have now went to little screws. Makes servicing them very easy. Also the big thing with complaints about the orings allowing the blades to come open in flight and in the quiver has been taken care of with the shock collars. Simply align the little arrow on the collar with a blade--NOT the slots and I have now tested the Rage Crossbow 125 grain head in crossbows with speeds of over 400 fps. NOT ONE--I repeat NOT ONCE did the blades deploy in flight. These heads have been drastically improved and my arrow flight is great out to 60 yards. Granted I do not plan to hunt game at that range but was VERY VERY curious about flight and accuracy characteristics. I honestly believe these heads--as long as the shooter can accurately place the arrow/bolt in the vitals--you WILL NOT have any issues tracking. Last years I personally witnessed the damage these heads do on whitetails when the head passes through the lungs as it should. Dear God--the wound channels and devastation was beyond belief. The blood trails on the three I saw lead only about 30 yards that looked like paint thrown up on the bushes and trees. Unreal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention that I feel is worthy of mentioning. Rage did not take a standard 100 or 125 grain head and simply slap new labels on them calling them "crossbow". They actually have a crossbow head that the ferrule is larger in diameter matching up to the larger diameter bolts.
When I actually look at their first offerings to the public verses where they are at now--they actually took the time, money and effort to fix complaints with their product. Replacing the rivets that basically required one to literally almost destroy the ferrule to get them out with screws. listening to customers who took real issue with the orings not working well and inventing a break away tab collar to actually take care of premature blade deployment. In my mind I really do think this says something in a world where money and marketing of a product no matter whether it works well or not--just make money--these folks that are making the Rage heads are really trying to please their customer base. That matters to me.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I haven't spent time testing with the newer Rage. It appears I need to re-visit these heads and have a look. With that in mind, I do have a question for those that are using them.

Is there something that keeps the shock collar uniform while screwing it to the shaft? Or to put it a different way...Is there something in the design to keep the shock collar from crushing and keeping the head in alignment with the insert/arrow shaft, to keep it from wobbling in flight?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Rage includes nice detailed instructions about the shock collar. The new heads there are NO orings. Looking at the shock collar closely one will see a tiny arrow. Align that arrow with a blade and then put the metal washer behind it. As you tighten things down all one has to do is to make sure the slots on the shock collar does NOT line up with a blade. What I do is to hold the head and carefully screw the shaft onto the head making sure the collar is lined up properly. The little tabs actually hold the blades in place and I could not really over tighten the heads onto the arrow. When the broadhead strikes the target the little tabs break away and the blades slide. In recovering the heads I noted that only the two tabs holding the blades had broken away. Simply loosen the head slightly--rotate the shock collar to the next set of tabs and shoot again until all of the tabs are gone--then you need a new shock collar. On the Rage website they have several videos and it explains in detail how to install, use the shock collars. They have stepped up their game to aid the customer in the use of their product. I am in NO way affiliated with Rage but after testing their early products and their 2015 crossbow heads I can VERY clearly see a HUGE improvement. I would now trust this head for use on game and plan on actually attempting the use of these heads myself this year. Last year I got to see the results from several others who chose to use the head. These broadheads shot through the vitals--where the shot needs to be placed--the results were very devistating to say the least. MASSIVE--ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE entry and exit holes that lead to very short and fast tracking jobs. I honestly believe that these heads cannot fail to open and that as long as the shooter does his or her job to get the arrow or bolt where it needs to be--through the vitals--one should not have any issues recovering a deer.

·
Banned
540 Posts

sorry cant figure out how to get pic here. Anyway.
Shot this buck last year on the first day. Distance of 33 yds.
using these rage heads.
used the others for years.
shot with a matrix 380.
buck went 60 or 70 yds.
So much blood everwhere.
It was crazy.

I love these things.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
People way too excited over big heads and big holes.A shot through the vitals with any sharp BH ceases the function of that organ and they deer dies within seconds.I use a small fixed blade and I've never had a single deer go 70 yards except for one that was gut shot and that one went about 150 yards.Of the last 60+ deer that I've shot,only one has run out of sight.

·
Registered
526 Posts
DCE:
I too agree and understand your comments. I am a HUGE fan and user of Slick Trick 125gn magnum heads. Ive taken allot of deer with them. I hunt an area that is thicker than dog hair and one thing I like about the Rage and the Slick Tricks are the blood trails. In super dense cover the huge blood trails aid in a much easier recovery. I will say this--When using a mechanical head it is VERY VERY important to use a bow that has plenty of energy to allow for proper function of the heads. Shot out of a 260lb crossbow these do great. I would tell anyone--NEVER sacrifice a huge holes for penetration--use enough bow if you desire to use mechanicals. Also--I too agree--most any well made, sharp broadhead shot through the vitals taking out both lungs and or the heart is going to result in a recovered animal.
The really great thing is that in todays archery market we have so many choices.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I agree with all of your points.I STRONGLY AGREE THAT PENETRATION TRUMPS THE SIZE OF THE HOLE Every time.I have nothing against rage heads except for their marketing.They make ridiculous claims that aren't true,such as increasing your kill zone.I'm fortunate in that I get a pile of dmap tags so I get to kill a pile of deer.I was also on a committee that recovered deer in a semi-controlled hunt.As a result,I've had the opportunity to kill and help recover literally hundreds of deer and I've got to see them shot with every type of head out there.I can tell you for a fact that a BH has to have three things and size isn't one of them.It has to be razor sharp,penetrate well and hold together.I can also tell you that big heads do not invrease your kill zone.I've recovered dozens of gut shot deer,shot with everything and including rage heads.Regardless of the head,close to 50% of those deer are still alive the next morning.Patience and common sense recovers those deer,not the size of the head.I'm not bashing rage heads.I'm just saying you gain nothing by using heads of that type and you do give up several things,including more cash.

I've used huge mechanicals and I've used huge 4 bladed fixed heads.The results were never any better than using a smaller fixed head,other than looking at a huge gaping wound.I also hunt were it's very thick and I'm telling the truth when I say that only one of the last 60+ deer has run out of sight.I would say that the vast majority of those deer are down within 40 yards and not all were perfect hits either.

I shoot a lot of deer so I expect my heads to be re-usable.I've killed as many as 4 deer and a turkey with the same head and blades.doing nothing other than touching the blades up.I've never been able to do that with a mechanical because the blades are only connected to the ferule in one spot,making them inherently weaker.

·
Registered
526 Posts
DCE:
Absolutely awesome and great post. I agree totally with your comments and you have some great feedback as you have personally witnessed the results of many types and styles of broadheads.
I too agree with the three characteristics you listed and would like to add one.
--The broadhead must have good flight characteristics to allow it to be accurately shot whereby getting the entire arrow/bolt assembly through the vitals.
--Sharp blades
--Able to penetrate well
--Constructed in a manner that keeps the head together allowing it to cut and do its job entirely.
I honestly think that many broadheads and other stuff for that matter has allot of marketing hype and schemes behind it.
Lets face it--Not me, not anyone can re-invent dead. Dead is dead--period. A quality constructed broadhead with sharp blades shot and placed through the vitals where it needs to be or should be will result in death. No matter who makes or sells the broadhead--they cannot re-invent dead.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
They do have to fly good and that's why so many people use mechanicals.They simply lack the knowledge to get perfect flight.In that case,putting a mechanical on an arrow that's wobbling around will compound any problems.I don't know much about crossbows other than making sure you have the correct foc on the arrow.I bought a crossbow for my son,screwed on a slick trick,hoped for the best and they shot exactly where his field points went.Had that not been the case,I wouldn't have known what to do.

Dead is dead.Why kill an ant with an 8lb hammer when a 2lb hammer will do the same job?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts