The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the switch to Rage Hypodermic broadheads this season. Just shot my practice heads and they are as accurate and group as good as my field points. Anxious to see how they perform on deer!

·
Registered
710 Posts
First year using them as well, shot some of the 1.50 a piece chinese fake ones all summer at ground hogs and they flew and killed great. Hoping to see what the real ones will do on a whitetail

·
Registered
140 Posts

Heres a blood trail. 12 ft from shot. These heads are awesome.
For me these have worked. Since I switched I'm 100% on kills and recovery. 6 deer total. 4 buck and 2 doe. They do work. You do your part = dead deer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I switched to them after last season due to friends great success. He killed 2 deer that didn't make it 50 yds from where he hit them. Needless to say he swears by them.

Fingers crossed for this year!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I use the extremes with the cut on contact head. In the rare instance that is may not open, at least there is still a 3/8" or so cutting surface going through the deer and not a small puncture. That is my reasoning anyway. As long as they open, there should be no difference in the end results as long as you wait for a nice "broadside" shot. ahem....

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
3 Jaegers said:
I switched to them after last season due to friends great success. He killed 2 deer that didn't make it 50 yds from where he hit them. Needless to say he swears by them.

50 yards is a typical distance for any BH.

Fingers crossed for this year!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shot my practice heads today from an elevated stand. Again the results were very favorable. Anxious to use them on a deer!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Precision Public said:
Shot my practice heads today from an elevated stand. Again the results were very favorable. Anxious to use them on a deer!
Be sure to shoot the actual broadhead to be sure they are impacting where, and how you expect them to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip. Will do. Real pleased with how I am shooting right now. I hope nothing changes with the actual heads!

·
Registered
525 Posts
A little trick with the actual mechanical head--place a drop of super glue on the hinge points, and shoot them into a target such as a heavy foam one. The glue holds it all from opening shooting at your target. Blades get less damage--be gentle pulling the arrow/bolt assembly back out.
NOW--the Rage heads are serviceable--Use finger nail polish with acetone in it to dissolve the super glue--take the broadhead apart, and I use a Lansky style sharpener, and touch the blades up at a 17 degree angle if I feel they have been dulled.
You can also just shoot the head allowing it to open when it hits the target, but they tend to require a little TLC when pulling them back out of the target.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Glad to see this thread. This will be my first season using the Rage 125 gr. Hypodermic broadhead with my compound bow. Sounds like they have a winner.

I was soured to Rage back when the rubber O-ring was still the standard issue equipment on their broadheads. Like many people, I immediately hated how easily the blades escaped retention and was not willing to risk an errant shot due to a stray blade. Now that I've had a chance to thoroughly test the Hypodermics and the Shock Collar setup, I'm confident that the new design is worth trying.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Pretty much any broadhead will do that when you make a good shot. I've used the hypodermics the last couple years with 2 buck, 3 doe, and a gobbler to thier credit. None of those animals died any quicker than the ones I shot with QAD and slick trick heads. They're all great choices, but it's the shot placement that matters most in the results you see.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have been using rage for sometime and had different styles but now settled in on the Hyodermic. First time I ever shot 40 yards last nite with the practice tip and was right on.

·
Banned
813 Posts
I haven't shot or tested any other brand of mechanical broadhead but I have " field tested" the Rage 100 grain "2 inch heads 7 times now since I switched to them last season and they have performed perfectly, infact not one of them have made it 60 yards after the shot. I'm not saying that they're arn't other brands of broad heads that fly and perform as good as Rage ( I'm sure there are) but I can't imagine that there is any that shoot and perform any better. Rage broadheads don't fly like field points they fly like bullets.
40 yard shot, ran 50 yards after the shot.
29 yard shot, ran 40 yards after the shot.
22 yard shot, ran 50 yards.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Be sure to shoot the actual broadhead to be sure they are impacting where, and how you expect them to.
In my 32 years of bow hunting I have never once practiced with a broadhead or arrow that went in my quiver. The first time it gets shot is at a deer, then gets retired.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts