The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone use the rages on deer. I picked up a pack they were on sale and im thinking of useing them this year. i usally shoot g5 monetecs but the rages look good larger cutting dia and feild point like flight. Just still leary of them not opening or not pentrating on a slight miss that hits the shoulder. I trust my g5s but always looking for something better.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
lots of discussions about rage broadheads on this site just scroll back a few pages, some negative and some positive. I have used them and had positive results both deer were dead within 40 yds it is all shot placement as with any broadhead. I only used them one season i did not like the durability of the head and I didn't like how they opened in my quiver i was constantly checking them to make sure they were closed. I now shoot slick tricks but i also used montecs with great success.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've taken 3 bucks with them(2 Illinois,1 PA) all 3 bled out within 50yds and I mean bled out!! No complaints here yet, but its all in what you like I guess

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't use them but have been with friends that do. If I was to revert back to mechanicals they'ed be the ones. They make a nasty hole. Even with a marginal hit they'll do a lot of damage resulting in a quicker recovery. I know of only one time it didn't open and he still got the deer.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
We're back to Rage broadheads? OMG, I am so sick of this topic. Do you work for Rage as part of their massive marketing campaign? Please, lets talk about good, hard hitting broadheads. Please, oh please let this be the last topic on the Rage heads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sure is a popular topic. I use em and have had good results. But as with any broadhead its all about where you stick em!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive killed two bucks with the rage 2 heads. They do fly with field point like accuracy. Thats the positive thing. The down sides are that they dont penetrate as well as advertised, the blades get destroyed when you shoot something and at $40 bucks for three heads that stinks, and they do come open on you in your quiver and sometimes on your rest when you are still hunting. They will do the job though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've killed 2 deer with the 2 blade rages. Neither ran more than 50 yards after the hit and they leave a huge bloodtrail with 2" plus holes. I shot a doe quartering away and it blew right through the offside shoulder on a complete pass through. That broadhead still shoots after that too. I don't plan on switching from them any time soon. They group like no other broadhead I've shot either.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If penetration is important to you I would recommend that you visit the Rage homepage > TV commercial > Uncensored footage

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I just watched the entire uncensored footage. Only one pass through out of close to 75 shots. Not what I want to be shooting.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
It's all false marketing and that's why I hate them.First of all,nothing can make up for poor shot placement.Their claims of "throwing an axe through an animal"sends the wrong messgage.You don't need to throw an axe through a deer and it won't kill one any faster.Their claim of increased penetration is simply ludicrous.A 2.5" BH with steep blade angles simply will not penetrate better than any other type of bh.It's a flat out lie.

The four most important things a a bowhunters needs in a BH is,shot placement,penetration,sharpness and durability.Any sharp BH that penetrates both lungs and stays together will guarantee a short bloodtrail.In fact,the vast majority of time,you shouldn't even need one.It boggles my mind that bowhunters think they need to put a 2.5" gash in a deer to kill it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I can say I won't be switching anytime soon. I've shot 2 deer, a pig and a 400lb Black bear with them and none of them made it very far. Both deer went about 50 yards. The pig didn't move, just dropped right there and the bear made it 25 yards if he was lucky. They flat out leave a path of destruction that I have never seen with any other broadhead.

Oh and if your worried about pass throughs it went through that big bear no problem coming out of a 65lb old hoyt bow only shooting about 250fps.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
I'm not saying they won't kill game.Any BH is deadly.I've killed over 30 deer with fixed blades over the past 7 years and only one has made it out of sight.Every one of those shots was a complete passthrough and all of those BH's are still usuable.Last year,I killed 5 deer and none made it past 40-50 yrds.You simply don't need a huge BH to kill deer within a few seconds.I've seen several deer shot with rage BH's.None died any faster or dropped any sooner than the ones that get hit with fixed heads.They do make a big entrance wound but they usually don't fully penetrate.

I get to track alot of wounded deer because I'm on a committee that get's called out to track wounded deer in a controlled hunt.Two years ago,I tracked 5 different deer that were gutshot,not pushed and recoved the next morning.Three of those deer were still alive the next morning and one was shot with a rage.I also failed to recover several because the hunters pushed the deer almost instantly.Some of them were shot with rages.It's all in shot placement.No broadhead can make up for poor shot placement.If shot placement is good,the BH is sharp and stays together the entire way through an animal's lungs,it doesn't matter what's on the end of the arrow.

Big holes look cool but they don't kill deer and deader or any faster.I've killed several deer over the past two years with slick trick grizztricks.They have every bit of cutting surface and put just as nasty of a hole in a deer as any rage.The results are the same as with any decent broadhead,a dead deer within 40-60 yards away.People get way too caught up in the hype of big broadheads.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I can fix the blades opening up...I used the small rubber bands that people use for the braces on their teeth. Just put the band on the middle of the broadhead. Does not change anything with the flight of the arrow. My brother in law just got his braces off. He gave me a whole bag. I dont have to worry about them opening up now!

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
But why make something more difficult than it has to be?You kill more deer when you're confident and focused.When I draw back on a deer,I concentrating on picking a spot,not worring about whether or not my rubber band is holding my bh together.

BH flight is corrected by using a tuned bow and good form.Using a huge mechanical will not kill you any more deer.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
dce said:
But why make something more difficult than it has to be?You kill more deer when you're confident and focused.When I draw back on a deer,I concentrating on picking a spot,not worring about whether or not my rubber band is holding my bh together.

BH flight is corrected by using a tuned bow and good form.Using a huge mechanical will not kill you any more deer.
But it will empty your wallet faster.

·
Registered
583 Posts
DCE...Having a rubber band on my broadhead doesnt break my concentration on the task at hand. I have never had a Rage open up in my quiver, the rubber band is just a little piece of insurance. After all the stuff I do to get ready for the season, why chance it?

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
Why chance what?

If I had to depend on a rubberband to keep my bh from malfunctioning,it would be on my mind constantly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Like I said before I have never had one of them open, I just put it on their as a back up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts