The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent had a topic on this for a while I was getting kind of down and its the holiday season

·
Registered
864 Posts
I used them this year with great results. I think the #1 factor is shot placement. I am undecided but i think next year i might use my G5 Strykers or my Muzzy MX-3s

·
Registered
151 Posts
whats better rage 2 or 3 blade? i have the three blade but haven't had the chance to shoot them

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had a 2 blade let me down this year. I have used 2 them the last 3 years with great success but I hit a buck in Ohio this year, 24 yds, broadside, dead center of rib cage. Should have been a perfect double lung. I got 3 inches of penatration, found arrow right there with the broadhead and 1.5 inches of arrow broken off. Never found deer after giving it 4 hours then tracking, lost blood after 150 yrds.

I think that if a 2 blade hits a rib (on a fully mature big bodied deer) just right, it "bounces" off so to speak. I have heard others talk of this same thing on AT. I have alway had passthroughs with rages (6 total) but I can't see anything else that "failed" in this one but the broadhead. They will not be in my quiver next year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The best there is!!?? Are you kidding me?? They are junk and should be illegal! One of the national bowhunting magazines did a story on broadheads this fall and concluded through testing, that the rage broadheads failed to penetrate the ribs on a deer size animal a large percentage of the time. Then went to report that the broadhead suffered damage to the blades alot of the time. Their conclusion was that no bowhunter should ever use any mechanical broadhead on medium to large game. But to use cut on impact fixed blade broadheads.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
JTGuy said:
I had a 2 blade let me down this year. I have used 2 them the last 3 years with great success but I hit a buck in Ohio this year, 24 yds, broadside, dead center of rib cage. Should have been a perfect double lung. I got 3 inches of penatration, found arrow right there with the broadhead and 1.5 inches of arrow broken off. Never found deer after giving it 4 hours then tracking, lost blood after 150 yrds.

I think that if a 2 blade hits a rib (on a fully mature big bodied deer) just right, it "bounces" off so to speak. I have heard others talk of this same thing on AT. I have alway had passthroughs with rages (6 total) but I can't see anything else that "failed" in this one but the broadhead. They will not be in my quiver next year.
I've seen it happen twice to 2 of the buddies... they are now using G5's and slick tricks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i used a 2 blade 100 gr 2 inch cut and shot a 3.5 year old big body size buck at 20 yds with no issues on penetration and an awesome blood trail. Like i said they worked for me but i have heard of alot of people who dont like them

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
I like the pass through results I get with 125 Thunderheads....the more that moves the more things that can go wrong...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Anyone who chooses to use the Rage Broadheads....Good Luck!

I have personally witnessed 3 deer shot with the Rage 2".

One DRT, one after a long tracking job was recovered. The Third....It was found a few weeks later.

Spine hit on the first, the other two....Perfect placement...Horrendous arrow performance. AKA, Minimal penetration.

I like a good fixed-blade head. It will get the job done...No If's And's or But's.

I have too much respect for my quarry to ever shoot one of them at a live game animal.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I use the 3 blade, all pass throughs, and they cut through the ribs like butter. I have shot deer from 10 yds to 33 yds with them. I shoot them becuase when I had first bought my Hoyt Deviator, I had alot of problems in trying to get fixed blade broadheads to fly right. So I went to Rockets. They shot good but did not the penetration and they always lost a blade or two on a deer. When Rage came out, I tried them and liked them. Now I'm buying a new bow this year and we'll see how they do.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

To all, I found this link on another site that tested a bunch of broadheads, fixed and mechanicals, by shooting them at a 50 gal drum. Very interesting results. If i were to base my broadhead choice on this video, i would not use Rage. I think I'm going to waste a broadhead and arrow and test this out myself to see how my bow setup results in penetration on a barrel. I will post pics once i get a barrel. I still do not plan on switching because i have had good results on deer. I have to get a barrel to do the test myself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When the PGC opens a season on 55 gal barrels I will be sure to consider that video and then perhaps a Muzzy. Until then, I will continue to use my Rage 2 and 3 blade heads and continue to get pass throughs on large bucks.

If you "think" you made a "perfect hit" on a deer but only got 3" of penetration and the arrow "broke off" you hit a LOT more than ribs. A shoulder blade is the only thing on a deer that can cause that.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Paul C said:
A shoulder blade is the only thing on a deer that can cause that.
True... but improperly tuned bows will do that as well on any part of a deer. Arrow fish tailing with a mechanical is bad news

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Very true Nuge....and an arrow falling off the rest or shattering upon release can go through your hand. I was assuming the bow would be tuned properly....LOL.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
treed74 said:

To all, I found this link on another site that tested a bunch of broadheads, fixed and mechanicals, by shooting them at a 50 gal drum. Very interesting results. If i were to base my broadhead choice on this video, i would not use Rage. I think I'm going to waste a broadhead and arrow and test this out myself to see how my bow setup results in penetration on a barrel. I will post pics once i get a barrel. I still do not plan on switching because i have had good results on deer. I have to get a barrel to do the test myself.
I'm not sold on any mech broadhead. Will shoot my MX-3's over them anyday, but this video re-newed my dislike for carbon arrows also.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
treed74 said:

This was posted on here during archery season too. While its a cool video I dont think I would base my pick of a broadhead on a 55 gal steel drum.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts