The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They truly are "like throwing an axe at an animal," however I had a less than perfect experience with the Rage 2-blade on October 27th. Put a perfect broadside shot (double lung) on a buck at 20 yards. Arrow was covered in blood, stuck in the ground, complete pass-through. Absolutely no blood trail at all. Not one single drop. Thank God the beast laid dead a mere 60 yards away, and I heard him crash so he was easy to recover. This is the first Rage hit i've made or heard about that didn't have a blood trail that looked like it came from a fire hose. Maybe it just didn't open up the whole way? Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
High lungs maybe? I have seen high lung hits where the deer hardly left a blood trail and was found within 80 yards piled up.

What did the entrance and exit hole look like? If he only went 60 yards I doubt the blades didn't deploy.

Anyways, congrats on the buck kill, do you have any pics?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Man My Doe the other evening with 3 blade rages looked like a river flowing down the trail...She only made it 30 yrds.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i've shot 2 deer with rage 3 blades this year, one quartering to me in the front shoulder and one quartering away through rib cage and out behind the front shoulder... with a 60 lb. hoyt and they both only went about 40 yds and died....crazy blood trails..

·
Registered
693 Posts
The 8 point I killed on November 2nd left no blood trail at all & he piled up at 50-60 yards. The entry hole was huge but the arrow did not completly exit. The doe I shot on November 3rd left a big blood trail & piled up at 50-60 yards. The last twos years I shot a 10 point & a 9 point that both left great trails. All deer have been shot with Rage 3-blade 100 grains. It just depends on where you hit the animal ... The 8 point I killed this year was hit high lung ... Thats why there was a lack of blood. I love the broadheads personally ... and have nothing bad to say about them at all!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I killed an 8 point on oct 27th that had an awesome blood trail with a rage 2 blade. I guess it just depends on the hit. Everyone i have talked to who uses them loves them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the first deer i shot in the shoulder starting bleeding really bad right away and continued to get better and was pouring blood everywhere died after 40 yds...the second one i shot quartering away through the high lung and out the opposite shoulder...pass through...didnt bleed well until about after 20 yds...was real spotty and had chunks of stuff in the blood... well something must have clogged it up because she turned and ran up a little hill after like 20 yds and when she turned up its like someone pulled the plug...ill try and post a picture of here sometime but it looked like a hose was spraying blood...literally about 6 in wide of solid blood with barley any stop for like 20 yds til she was layin here dead

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
ranger175 said:
I have heard that with 2 blades the hole will some times seal up, and you wouldn't get a very good blood trail.
I think I agree with ya ranger. The couple times I have heard of this, they have been the 2 blades. This allows a greater possibility of the entry to seal since its one, straight-line slice.

With a 3 blade, the entry would be more difficult to seal on its own

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My BIL killed 2 doe this year with Rage 2 blades. Absolutely no blood on either deer. The first was from a treestand with the hit high behind the shoulder and hitting opposite shoulder(no exit wound). Deer went about 100 yards. The second was from the ground, level shot, hit right behind the shoulder, 1/2 way up the body. Traveled about 75 yards. Both were difficult to find because they went out and hooked left/right in thick cover.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm gonna go to the doe honey hole this friday night
I'll be sure to post up the geyser of a blood trail
Any broad head will have it problems with any given shot but rage 2 blades absolutely destroy deer....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I switched over to Rage this year, I wanted to see if they were worth the hype. I shot a doe on Oct. 9th with my Rage two blade. I shot her from my tree at a pretty high angle and was able to get a pass through hitting her in the lungs. The deer only went 40 yards, and I saw where she went down. However between where I shot and where she ended up there was hardly any blood. I was a little dissapointed in the lack of the blood, but these broadheads sure do make a nice entry hole! Good Luck to everyone for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
jayson said:
how do the 2 and 3 blades fly??? are they like field tips??
yes. They give you a practice head that replicates the actual 2 or 3 blade only the blades will not deploy. So essentially it is a fixed-mechanical head. If that makes sense to you.

People will tell you that if your bow is properly tuned it dont matter. Maybe so but if your going to shoot mechanicals, I feel rage has the best design.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too switched to a rage two blade this year . nov 2 i got a chance to try them out . before i go further you have to understand that blood tails are subjective to too many factors . any broadhead will kill . no exit = 1/2 a blood trail . i shoot a 60# bowtech and had a buck 1/4 to at 20 yards . i knew i could hit the pocket , he went 25 yards and i found 1/2 of my arrow broken off . he went another 125 to his death bed, was i happy ? YES 2" entry and devistaded everything inside on a 170# field dressed buck
I am sold !

·
Registered
162 Posts
i scrapped the rages and went to the g5 montec cs and man do they work i shot one this week and my wife shot one to and none of them went more than 75 yards and the blood trail was unreal. this was after my wife hit a doe and there was no blood . and the blades came loose every time she pulled them from the quiver.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My nephew killed a tight rack eleven point on the first day of archery using a RAGE 3 blade. Post mortem conducted revealed heart nearly cut in half, immense blood. Buck went 40 yards and fell over dead.

·
Registered
20,880 Posts
I killed 5 deer this year with a fixed blade.The furthest one went was 50 yards.You don't need to throw an axe through an animal in order to make a quick kill.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
dce said:
I killed 5 deer this year with a fixed blade.The furthest one went was 50 yards.You don't need to throw an axe through an animal in order to make a quick kill.
But it sure is fun.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i really wish people would stop saying they shot through the shoulder. its really misleading, you might have hit what was equivalent to the deers tricep but you certainly didnt go through a shoulder with a bow unless your shooting some ungodly KE and definitely NOT with an expandable.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts