The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is like the 1,234,342,235 post about Rage Broad heads but I thought of an idea so hear me out.

This post is about the hunters who have lost or harvested deer with Rage Broad heads.

(1). First thing is to specify whether or not you harvested or lost a deer while using the Rage.
(2). Range of the shot taken
(3). Bow Set-up
(4). Rage 2 or 3 Broad head

Example:
1. I just started using Rage Broad heads this past archery season and I didn’t harvest a deer so I am excluded, this is just an example.
2. No shot
3. 2009 Mathews DXT, 65lb and 30" draw. 27 1/2" Easton Lightspeed 340
4. Rage 2 Blade

What I am looking to achieve is helpful information to other archery hunters who might be on the verge of buying Rage Broad heads. When you read about Range Broad heads, the topic that sticks out the most in KE (Kinetic Energy) or bow set-up. Most people complain about the arrow not penetrating enough, thus causing the hunter to lose the deer. I figure that if enough people post about their own experiences and equipment, this will give a good insight on what is needed for the Rage to work properly.......

·
Registered
344 Posts
1. harvested a doe
2. 25 yards (recovered after 40 yards, not much blood)
3. Bear Game Over, 65lb and 28.5'' draw, Carbon Express Terminator Lites arrows
4. Rage 2 Blade

1. harvested a buck
2. 30 yards (recovered after 20 yards, blood everywhere)
3. Bear Game Over, 65lb and 28.5'' draw, Carbon Express Terminator Lites arrows
4. Rage 2 Blade

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
1. 2 doe and a buck
2. 1st doe 12yrds broadside 2nd doe 21yrds and my buck was 37yrds.
3. mathews dxt 70lb 29in draw
4. rage 2 blade

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Good post. I am interested in seeing other hunters results with the rage. Beside the bow set up, I personally believe shot placement is the number one factor of harvesting/ recovering a deer.

1.Shot a 10 point buck
2.20 yard shot/50 yard recovery
3. 2007 Fred Bear Element, 62 pounds, 29 Inch draw. 27 1/2 Inch Easton Epic 400
4. Rage 2 Blade 100 grain

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Rage 2 blade...

1. 150 class 10 pt. 50 yd recover
2. Doe ran maybe 20 feet.
3. 220 lb bear. Death moan 50 yds
4. 150 lb bear. Death moan within 20 yds

All complete pass thr
Mathews Q2 30 inch draw set at 65 lb draw.

Its all about shot placement....I first used them because they flew with accuracy of my field pts. I love hole and amount of blood.

I love the people that say they will never use a mechanical again because they injured a deer. I often wonder what they are going to do when the same thing happens when they use a fixed.

timber

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would post all 8 of my Rage kills but I've already posted them on one of the other 3000 or so Rage posts so I'm not going to waste the time or bandwidth again. Suffice it to say, though, I shot 8 deer (7 bucks and 1 doe) with the Rage and the only one that was not a complete pass through was my Kansas '09 buck that I used the wrong pin on---he was spined and dropped on the spot.

I shoot both Rage 2 blade and Rage 3 blade heads (100 grain) out of a Mathews Switchback LD set at 70# with a 31 inch draw and Carbon Express Terminator arrows.

·
Registered
509 Posts
9 doe 3 buck........1 doe never recovered. Ranges varied from 6-45 yards..8 pass throughs 3 not...furthest deer ran 90 yards due to shooter error, the rest died within 50 yards of being shot. I use a hoyt Katera set at around 65# and beman ics 340 and 400's...27.5 inch draw. Rage two blades every on every deer. Stay away from the shoulder and you will get your deer. Too many archery hunters put the pin on or way to close to the front shoulder....back off the shoulder about 6 inches or so and you will get the lungs, a pass through and your deer. I hate to buy into hype, but these broadeheads fly straight, make a massive cut and make a very humane kill. Alot of hunters hit the front shoulder blade negating penetration and expansion and complain saying that they made a perfect broadside shot and the blades didnt deploy and they didnt get a pass through and that mechanicals are no good, I highly doubt their story's are accurate accounts of what happened. Broadheads arent meant to "crush" bones...and they typically wont.

·
Registered
567 Posts
1. 2 8 pts (2 yrs)
2. 38 & 15 yard shots, 60 yard recoveries
3. Diamond Black Ice 70 lbs, Easton Axis w/ duravanes
4. rage 2 blades

·
Registered
162 Posts
shot at a large doe the arrow flew crazy due to blade coming loose before shot. replaced with g5's and dropped large buck and recoverd twenty yards later.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
huntingfool said:
shot at a large doe the arrow flew crazy due to blade coming loose before shot. replaced with g5's and dropped large buck and recoverd twenty yards later.
Just curious....how did you know the blade came loose before you shot? Did you see it loose and shot it anyway or are you just assuming, because you made a bad shot, that the blade must have come loose?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
1 buck 12 yd shot, pass through, 80 yd recovery
1 doe 15 yd shot, bad shot placement, no recovery,
1 doe 35 yd shot, pass through, 25 yd recovery
1 buck, 10 yd shot, pass through, 30 yd recovery.

Hoyt Deviator (retired) set a 70#s shooting 29" Carbon Express 350 Maximas.

·
Registered
483 Posts
1. 2 does killed with RAGE in 2009 archery
2. 1st doe at 12 yards.. 2nd at 25 yards. ...both 30 yd recovery
3. hoyt hypertec, draw weight:60, carbon express rebel lites
4. rage 3 blades.

***first doe kill, deer quartering to me, arrow thru right front should and into opposite. second deer, quartering away, up through rib cage and out lower part of front shoulder....RAGE THROUGH THE CAGE

·
Registered
172 Posts
this was the first year i used them, (1) harvested 9pt, 175lb field dressed 40 yd recovery (2) 14yd shot behind left shoulder, exit wound slightly behind rt leg(armpit). not full pass through, arrow may have hit rt front leg on exit. (3)martin bengal 27" draw at 65lb draw. 400 wt carbon arrows.(4)rage 3 blade. **funny thing was when i got to the buck the arrow was laying a few yards away without blood on the feathers, it did not go through him . will a buck hit in both lungs pull the arrow out?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Rage puts such a large hole in a deer the arrow will fall out. Any large broadhead, fixed or mechanical, could do that--there's simply nothing to hold it in.

·
Super Moderator
12,813 Posts
Paul C said:
The Rage puts such a large hole in a deer the arrow will fall out. Any large broadhead, fixed or mechanical, could do that--there's simply nothing to hold it in.
I will stick to my fixed blades which do not fall out because they penetrate completely through the rib cage and collect evidence of the hit location via blood color on the vanes, make two holes for the blood to exit leaving a good blood trail with the exit (Lower) hole being the more important hole for a good blood trail when the shot is taken from a higher location such as a tree stand.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As I said earlier the only shot that wasn't a complete pass through with my 8 Rage kills was a spine shot. If you hit em in the ribs ANY broadhead will give you a pass through.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I have a buddy, a fellow member on this site, that uses the 2 blade version. The last 2 years he stuck a deer at 15-20 yards. Both were in the ribs, perfect shot, but they never passed through. They had half the arrow sticking out. I wish I had pics from last years especially as I was on that tracking job (only 50 yards).

He hit both lungs I believe, definately 1. I wasn't there for the field dressing, I went to take alot of the gear back to the truck. But he too believes both lungs were punctured.

I told him, though... it could have been a bad situation... if those deer were furthur than 15-20 yards... it could have been really bad. And his bow is tuned to a T.

With his bow, it was a real shock. A hoyt katera, 30" draw, 70 pound pull. You would think it would have the snot to do it and get the arrow through, but it didn't. Shot angle was not steep either (which is what I first thought) But it wasn't.

I just don't know about them.

I say if it works for you, stick with it. He sold all of his broadheads and is now going to shoot slick tricks I think after seeing the holes I blew in a few on both the entrance and exit.

But as I said, if it works for you, keep using it.

I'm just one man, with one opinion. We all have them, and mine is worth just as much as the dirt I walk on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts