The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are you guys killing racoons with out any mess. I have trapped 36 coon and shot all of them. today i tried something new and tried chocking them with a catch pole but it resulted in shooting them. I have tried batting them too but i have to go to school in the morning and it takes to much time. Even if there is a better way of shooting them please tell me i would love to hear

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
tap on the head then a shovel handle layed across the neck stand on that and pull his back legs to dislocate neck. It's over in seconds.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Skinner said:
I put a .22 CB inbetween there eyes with a rifle at point blank range.
DON'T DO THIS with anything less than a 22LR. U will find one alive in your truck or fur shed soon enough!!! I shoot them 1/2 between the eyes and ears and centered on his head!

·
Registered
738 Posts
bux&dux said:
Skinner said:
I put a .22 CB inbetween there eyes with a rifle at point blank range.
DON'T DO THIS with anything less than a 22LR. U will find one alive in your truck or fur shed soon enough!!! I shoot them 1/2 between the eyes and ears and centered on his head!
YOU GOT THAT WRIGHT

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
hilltophunter said:
how are you guys killing racoons with out any mess. I have trapped 36 coon and shot all of them. today i tried something new and tried chocking them with a catch pole but it resulted in shooting them. I have tried batting them too but i have to go to school in the morning and it takes to much time. Even if there is a better way of shooting them please tell me i would love to hear
if you catch them in footholds , shoot then grab them and take out of trap and toss to the side.when you catch them in " box traps " that will be messy after the shot . geez stevie , you could have just called me

·
Registered
295 Posts
bin there i shot my first fox in the head took it out of the trap and put him in the back of my truck and remaid the set. when i was done i turned around to see him trying to get out of my truck. even if i think there dead i still stand on them and poke the eyes to make sure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just remember no eye reaction from opossums!! Brought one home alive in the truck this morning!!! LOL

·
Registered
655 Posts
Possums get 2 to the head from me, almost got bite by a DEAD Possum few years back. 22 shells are cheap compared to a series of rabies shots.

·
Registered
423 Posts
shoot them with a 17hmr, it puts them down instantly and gives you time to step on them before they flop into the water.
I try to get down and shoot them between the eyes so the bullet travels into the body, little hole going in no exit hole and very quick and humane kill.

·
Registered
161 Posts
.22 shorts, not CB's. I just don't worry about a little blood on coon. You could knock them just enough to stun and slap a strong 155 or 160 on them. Too much messing around for me.
Coon just don't kill easily.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Experiment with drowning cables. If you have deep enough water, it's very simple. It's a good way to hide coon from the public too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts