The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tanned cased-skinned raccoon that I would like lay flat like a rug. I don't want to screw up the cuts, so could anyone give me a description or diagram how to make the ventral cuts as well as through the front legs?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re: How to make a ventral cut for a rug?

Just make 3 cuts: 1. From one front paw on the underside straight down the leg and across chest up to other front leg paw. 2. Repeat for the hind legs. 3. From vent up stomach to underside of chin.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts

ive never done a coon like that...i just hung my pelts on my shelf by the nose...

but i skinned a fox and wanted to leave the paws on...not knowing what i was doing and figuring i had to cut down the front legs to keep the paws on, i did that...and made those slices first..before i thought about how i could easily pulled the legs out like i always do front legs....just at the time for some reason i thought i had to split the legs to keep the paws...

anyways....i split across the front legs paw to paw straight across and down both legs...then skinned the rear normal but kept the paws on the back legs instead of ringing them...i took that cut clear upto the front legs so i could lay it flat...but left the neck and head cased...

looks good laying as a rug and i didnt ruin it hanging..still looks fine though i didnt need to split the front legs..

if you want pics i can take them...just PM me it'll take a second...

i never really liked the split head and neck...i skinned a yote the same way this year...cant wait to get it back...wish i kept the paws but i blew 1 off and didnt consider keeping the other 3....another idiot thought..i need to think before i cut when im skinning! lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here's what I'm tinkering with...and my problems. See the close-up of the front legs? The skin get's bunched up around the "arm pit" area, and won't lie flat. Any ideas? Is there a better way to cut that?

·
Banned
649 Posts

cut those front legs off or make a small cut out of the skin behind the pit and sew up.
Joe

·
Registered
463 Posts

I agree with Joesimmons. They normally cut that little flap of skin and sew back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts