The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter (6yo) wanted to trap some raccoons this year. So we did. Now she wants to eat one. We did eat a couple young ones I shot while predator hunting last year that I baked in bbq sauce. It was good, but we would like to try it in a different way.

HPA - what are your favorite ways to eat raccoon?

·
Registered
19,053 Posts
a couple of African American guys i used to work with love raccoon. a guy who trapped would bring them in for those two. they would just cut it up and let it slowly cook in a crock pot with a homemade BBQ sauce, claimed it took two days, it looked like pulled pork and smelled good but i wasnt eating it.

Reactions: NorthernPotterCo

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Don't have a recipe for ya, but my first wife's in-laws were big coon hunters from West Virginia and I had coon at one of their shindigs. It was baked in a sauce with onions and peppers and was fantastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Best I ever had was aThanksgiving
coon( actually 2 coons)stuffed just like a turkey. Was sooo good. Meat fell off the bone and the filling, gravy, mashed taters, and corn rounded out my three helpings.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Tasted a baked one once. It was like a cross between beef and chicken.. Lady said you gotta soak all the grease out of them to get that taste.. Couldn't really enjoy it, all I could think about was skinning that greasy bugger a few days earlier...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My Uncles used to hunt coon with hounds for a lot of farmers here in N.E. PA. to keep them out the corn fields and most all the coon they got the hounds ate but my aunt cooked up some corn fed coons like a chicken in the oven that was pretty good. That was years ago,, I'm not sure I'd want to eat one today to many trash can coons around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts