The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news today said a man was attacked washing his car in a town near me and that there were 2 other attacs by foxes.

This has me worried about rabbies. I have 2 children i take with me and when i skin, I am starting to worry.
Prob overreacting but thinkking of not even preparing the fur this year just selling it whole.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It is always a concern, I saw the story on the news today too. Last year there was a rabid fox attack about 2 miles from a property I always trap here in Beaver county. It was a grey fox that attacked 2 people, all of my fox were fine last year. I just always wear gloves when I handle them, you would want mange either.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is always some rabid animals around,coon,skunk,gray and red fox . Mostly bats. Most die in the wild and never are healthy enough to get in a trap. The salivia is the hazard. The virus will die when the animals body cools off,I am told. Possum never are carriers because their body temp is too low for the virus to survive. I would not panic and quit trapping. This is what they need is to thin down the population so the rabid animal cant infect so many others. Go get um.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Wear nitrile gloves and have hand sanitizer on hand. This is what I do, and who knows what diseases all the critters I have skinned may have had all these years doing taxidermy and trapping. I have never gotten sick from any of them.

Rabies is usually transmitted through a bite, so don't let a live trapped animal bite you and break the skin.

There have been rabid animals in my area too. When I walk around the property I am armed. Of course since I started doing this, there have been no rabid animals, no pitiful mangey foxes limping around, no foxes in the front yard banging against the fence after a night of guinea killing, and no catching any foxes in the actual act of poultry depredation. Some sort of .40 cal magic talisman or something...LOL

Many years ago I was walking on one neighbors property, when I encountered another neighbor. The attraction was the beaver pond down in the woods. He was with a young kid that was riding on his shoulders. He also had what looked like a .22 rifle. I asked if it was for groundhogs, just joking around, but he wouldn't answer. I was worried he was shooting the beavers, but he tells me how he loves the beavers and has videotaped them many times. It took me several years to figure that he was probably carrying that rifle due to the rabid animals. Open carry of long guns is legal in MD w/out "gov't permission slip".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts