The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses tame rabbits to start there beagels, and what are your opinions on this?
I'm thinkin of getting one to help get my pup started a little easier. Thanks

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think that is what a lot of folks use in a starting pen. I haven't had beagles for years. I am sure someone will answer your question. Only thing I am thinking is don't rush your pup if it is young. Get him used to you and listening pretty good. I had a beagle that ran rabbits at 3 months old and I had one that I never took to the woods until he was 6-7 months old. The latter was the best beagle I ever had and he listened real good. He was a line breed Gay Dash. That was over 20 years ago. Man I guess I am getting older.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
As somebody just starting out the hardest part is not putting to much pressure on a pup, I know I have to keep telling myself shes only a pup shes only a pup. My biggest frustration now is her not wanting to pack up with strange dogs but shes getting better anyways on to the question.

I got mine started on a tame rabbit at 13 weeks once she opened up on the tame I never messed with it again since then i only fed her wild tracks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then I think im just stickin with the wild bunnies. Shes just under 6 mnths. and she's trackin and yipped and opened up a little tonight. That one she tracked about 50 yds to a hole.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would say according to this last post that she is right on track. Just keep taking her to spots with rabbits. She will do it

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a mistake i'm makin is takin my older one out with her, she doestn really get a chance to run one. It just makes it easier for me to get a rabbit up for her to run. Im sorta shootin my self in the foot by doing this though, because when he starts one he takes it and goes.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
you may want to get her in some solo till shes circleing her own rabbit

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep telling myself that but everytime i get her out after work, hes there wanting to go. He's gunna be 12 and I want to have as much fun as he can till his time is up. I guess it wont hurt to let him sit a few times, at least till she has a better grasp on things. I'll do that tommorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took her out tonight by herself and she did fine. We jumped one as soon as we hit the woods. She got on it and moved it right away. She took it about 75 yds opening all the way. Where the rabbit made its turn she lost it. Thats when i got sidetracked. I wanted to go quick check on a deer bedding area for sheds so i never gave her a good chance to keep after it. Concidering the cold windy conditions i was pleased with her attempt. Tommorrows another day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts