The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys prefer to cook your rabbits?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Par boiled with carrot, celery and onion and pepper corns and then floured and fried in bacon fat and butter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A women I used to work with, would bone out the rabbit (6-8) Run the meat thru a grinder, form into small patties, dip into egg then cracker crumb (twice) and drop into a deep fryer. They were really good.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Another great one is to season and boil off per Johns post, then let cool, pick the meat, and prepare cold just like chicken salad. Its crazy how good it is ! ( We do a Pa Dutch mustard base rabbit salad, you can find it in the Grange cookbooks, just use rabbit instead of chicken )

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Parboil and pick off the bone. Saute meat in butter, onions, mushrooms, salt, papper, worchestershire, garlic powder. Once hot thicken juice with a little ranch dressing. Awesome alone or over mashed taters.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Split it wide open
place in container w olive oil, basalmic vinegar garlic lemon, rosemary...marinade
You can spice it up or flavor to your palate or tastes..more herbs, cayenne, etc...
Overnight best few hours minimium to marinade...flatten
U can use wire apparatus or cpl bricks w foil on up side of carcass
Either way you want carcass on grill flat u can baste, salt pepper thru process
Best over coals...
You can use unused marinade for dipping sauce
Lady I know was Portuguese raised her own meat rabbits & wild cousins
She used all marinade including used marinade but brought it to boil ...
wacked it up with butter & white wine , etc...
& used that for finishing sauce or basting...
Incredible & healthy to boot,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My son and I love this recipe: Coat some cut-up rabbit in flour. I mix some Montreal Chicken and Old Bay Seasoning in the flour. Brown the rabbit in a frying pan with some olive oil. Don't need to cook it just brown it and transfer the browned rabbit to a baking dish. After browning the rabbit add some butter to the frying pan and brown 3-4 cut up onions. Cover the rabbit pieces with the onions. Deglaze the pan with a 1/2 cup of wine or apple cider and pour that and 2 cans of chicken gravy over the rabbit & onions. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 325 for ~ 4 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts