The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some spots to hunt rabbits. Anyone know of spots near Elmhurst, Moscow area? I will travel if I have to but Id like to find somewhere closer. Just lost a spot in Nicholson that was heaven and need to find somewhere else.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Most sgl on my side of the state have rabbits in varying degrees.

If you don't have a dog, wait for a fresh snow and hunt good cover. It won't take long to find out if there is a good population.

If you ever end up over this way, I would be happy to help you find a couple.

Good luck.
Brian

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually theres 2 dogs that run. Im just lookin for some spots that are good rabbit habitat.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I tend to lean toward private farms and the thick rows of multiflora between crop fields. Take a drive during the summer months and ask some farmers in your area. Most are eager to be rid of the vermin

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol youd be amazed how many people ive asked. its always the same thing. well we hunt it, or no we dont allow hunting.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
TurkeyBoy17 said:
Usually theres 2 dogs that run. Im just lookin for some spots that are good rabbit habitat.
Not tryin to be a jerk, but didn't you say in your other post that you didn't have any dogs available to run them?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncles dogs run them.. i dont have them personally and he hasnt been able to really go this year due to knee problems

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Huntin54 said:
Driving around looking for cover on gamelands and than hunting it seems to work the best for me.
That's old school...I didn't know anyone did that anymore.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Run2Catch said:
Huntin54 said:
Driving around looking for cover on gamelands and than hunting it seems to work the best for me.
That's old school...I didn't know anyone did that anymore.
With the amount of people on here looking for places to hunt i'm starting to think your right.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did find a spot that is brushy.. not sure how the rabbits will be in there but its a start.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill have to learn the sniffing ways of the beagle as well

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
I've lost more spots over the last few years than I can count. I won't even address hare spots gone by the wayside. Houses get built, new owners take over properties , etc. My dad actually used to keep a book with spots written down so he could remember them all. Those days are gone. I'm lucky if I have ten regular spots now to go and shoot some cottontail.
When I was younger my father and I would typically shoot well over 150 cottontail a year. I think we killed about 30 last season. Didn't get out anywhere near as what we usually do however. We generally start running coyote every Saturday with our friends come January 1st.
Last year on a whim I went driving around knocking on doors in cottontail-looking places asking permission after deer season. Every single household turned me down. I was very polite to everyone and even invited some of them to accompany me hunting, no luck. Times have changed.
There are several SGL's around with fantastic cover but don't hold huntable numbers of cottontails. Seems like the SGL's in my area get pounded with hunting pressure. You have to hunt them early on. I was never a big fan of hunting early when the temps are still warm.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've lost 3 spots on SGL just this past summer. I'm not sure how true it is, but my buddy had a GC Officer tell him that Multiflora rose and russian olive has been deemed an invasive species to PA, so they have been ordered to cut it all out of the gamelands. I never heard anything about it, but I've seen 3 of my gamelands spots get completely demolished. I mean GONE.

I'm sure it will be replaced by grasses that couldn't hold a tweety bird when the snow hits, just like the rest of the fields.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
They have been deemed invasive species for some time now, which they certainly are. I have seen both outcompete and take over areas in as little as several years. The autumn olive is useless once it matures in a few years and the multiflora, while it does make great small game and deer cover, will outcompete desireable natives. Although with rose rosette showing up now, I think most multiflora is doomed anyway. Two summers in a row now, several multiflora patches have shown signs of rosette, and it appears to have killed at least a few bushes.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What is considered a "desirable native"? They are invasive, and take over, but what could be better? They provide cover for A LOT of game. Has to be better than what looks like a baseball field after the snow flies.

The GC cut it from the property that borders my buddies ground, guess where the deer, turkey, pheasant, rabbit, raccoon, fox, coyote, bear, etc etc are now? Not on the SGL.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think alot of people not wanting to let anyone hunt has a lot to do with our sue happy society. ive lost quite a few spots like that. not because i threatened lawsuit but because the landowner was afraid of someone they gave permission to turning around and suing them because they got hurt. I actually had a kid I went to high school with turn me down from his property because he was afraid of it happening. It really is quite a shame.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
What is considered a "desirable native"? They are invasive, and take over, but what could be better? They provide cover for A LOT of game. Has to be better than what looks like a baseball field after the snow flies.

The GC cut it from the property that borders my buddies ground, guess where the deer, turkey, pheasant, rabbit, raccoon, fox, coyote, bear, etc etc are now? Not on the SGL.
.....ninebark, crabapple, hawthorn, greenbrier, alder, goldenrod are just a few that come to mind as to what is just as good, but yet isn't invasive. I'll give you the fact that the multicolored does provide good cover a for a lot of species, but the autumn olive outlives it's usefulness after a few years. Once it matures, it becomes useless and shades out everything around it,yet provides very little, if any cover.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts