The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the most popular methods of rabbit hunting do any of you guys use longnets in your state ?

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
What the heck is a "long net"? We run them with beagles or others simply kick the brush and jump shoot them.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Longnetting is a European form of hare hunting where they drive the rabbit ( Hare) to a waiting net place strategically near the cover. It is done by just men and by hounds and men. It is not practiced in the USA, but not exactly sure if it is illegal?

·
Administrator
30,449 Posts
gamekeeper said:
what are the most popular methods of rabbit hunting do any of you guys use longnets in your state ?
Netting and snaring arent considered to be sporting methods of taking rabbits here in the States.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Watching a group of guys setup long nets, release some grey hounds, and send ferrets into the burrows is a real sight.
Although, I do believe this is done more for nuisance control and not practiced here in the states.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i take it you dont have the numbers of rabbits we have in england it is nothing to get 20 or 30 walked up shooting and that number can rise to well over a hundred if lamped at nite , longnetting is a skill and is very efective were the conditions are right

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
We probably have more licensed hunters in our state then you have in your country. We got good hunt able amounts of rabbits as you can tell if you read here but we are comparing completely different countries.

I do love hearing different techniges though. Do you really have trained ferrets that would be cool to see

·
Banned
313 Posts
Go on youtube there hundreds of videos of them feretting long netting and lamping

You couldn't run hare in the uk or where ever with hounds they don't stay up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
No we don't have nearly the #'s they have in the UK. I remember watching in disbelief a news show saying England banned hunting foxes, hares, deer and other animals with hounds/dogs partly to protect the dogs from being abused by being forced to hunt. I laughed my butt off knowing most dogs love to hunt and it would be abuse not to hunt my dogs. Its amazing what a liberal out of control government can meddle in. Unfortunately the US is starting to do the same type stuff.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Don;t they poison the rabbits in England since they are a nusiance? When i was over there i took a train north out of London and was amazed at the amount of rabbits and pheasants just out in the open. I believe my beagle would have a heart attack if he saw all them rabbits the size of him just sitting out in the open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we have a abundance of rabbits in the uk , one mans pest is another mans sport

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
gamekeeper said:
we have a abundance of rabbits in the uk , one mans pest is another mans sport
I take it that since guns are now strictly controlled hunting is not an option?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes ferreting is very popular i worked ferrets for over 25 years and had some very memorable days sport

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
your very wrong about not been able to hunt hares with hounds in the uk every area had a beagle pack and long hunts lasting up to a couple of hours have been known sadley a thing of the past since the goverment brought in the hunting with dogs ban

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hunting with dogs ban !!!!! That's crazy. You can't use dogs but you net 30 at a time or send ferrets down holes?! And I thought our government was messed up lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ye well never take your sport for granted because we did in our country till it was to late. I never thought i would see the end of fox hunting with hounds, or beagling for hares, or coursing but gone they are, and i fear the ban will never be overturned in parliment, not in my lifetime anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's terrible. When I think of fox hunting I think of it as an English tradition. I may be wrong here. Or maybe I'm being stereotypical but I've always associated Fox hunting with England. As for Rabbit hunting if they are pests you would think they would allow you to hunt them by any means necessary. I don't know I just find that ***-backwards.
Just my 0.02

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
John-PA said:
Don't worry Bearklr, we're not far behind them.
Man John, I hope you're wrong but wouldn't put it past anything hunting related getting banned with some of the antis out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts