The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some good laughs this year.
I thought I'd share a short story about one of my hunting trips, hopefully it'll inspire others to share more of their own stories.

3 of us arrive at a spot, unload, go over safety, gameplan, ect.
About the crew on this trip: One guy is a seasoned waterfowl hunter, the other a seasoned deer/bird hunter, and myself.

I send the dogs in with a simple "Hunt'em Up" Command, within moments Gunner (a colder nose) gives a little mouth at the edge of brush pile. Trigger takes his partners bark for it and barrels in, the moment Trigger (hot nose only really) opens his mouth I know we're going to have a good day.
We are all just standing in a gaggle, wondering if the rabbit is really going to make a break for it across a freshly snow covered opening at least 30yds wide when the rabbit breaks cover and sets off at a leisurely pace across the clearing not more than 25yds from us.
The air is filled with gunfire for the next 30 seconds as both men engage this cottontail who clearly had a death wish. Only when the last echo of their shots stop ringing in the distance to both men hear me laughing- the dogs continue on the track across the clearing to find the hole, return to the edge and just stare at me- as if begging me to find better shooters.

As we joke about the moment I cast the dogs in again.
Trigger goes right into the same brush pile again, and erupts into song as a rabbit comes out straight for us.
I holler to the closest guy to take it, and the rabbit cuts right- moving along the wood line now. After his 2nd shot, I decided to lend a hand. First Rabbit of the day!

We hunt the area some more, having some good runs but never having a clear shot of the rabbits.

We get to a great spot, I post a guy just inside the brush, next to a field; and the other 20yds away deeper inside the woods. The dogs are really pounding one good at this point, and it sounds like he is headed right to us...

BOOM...
Did you get him? No, he cut in, he's headed to you guys.
BOOM...
BOOM...
Did you get him? No, but I nailed the tree in front of me.

The dogs run'em to ground, and jump another moments after.
We take up similar posts, but it seems the rabbit holed up just short of our position. I move in to investigate when I see Trigger hopping all over this brush pile, he goes from one side- goes in a little bit, then hops to the other and does the same thing. He insists there is a bunny inside, I get him all riled up and he goes in a little deeper this time... and comes out with fur hanging from his chin. I tell him to "Bring it Here", and he runs to the other side and dives in, the rabbit comes flying out bumping my leg on the way. I holler to the shooter, and just at that moment the rabbit stops not more than 10yds in front of the shooter- right in a small shooting lane...
"I can't he's too close.."
The rabbit breaks right...
BOOM...
"Not too close to me."
2nd rabbit of the day!

We continue along our way, hunting, joking, enjoying just getting it away from it all.

It isn't long before the dogs get another one going, and push it straight to a shooter. His 1st shot slows it down, and the 2nd shot finishes the job.
3rd Rabbit of the Day!

We also had a rabbit bust out of a pile and into deep snow that we didn't shoot because we thought it was a mouse at first. All you could see was the top of its head flying thru the snow.

We continue to hunt our way back to the truck, when Trigger begins to tell us he's got something under a clutch of snow covered multiflora brush. Next thing we know he's singing full volume...
A few tense seconds later the front half of a rabbit pops out of the snow from the top of the bush and starts wriggling trying to free itself from the brush.
We begin to think the dog has the other end of it, until Triggers head pops out next to the Rabbits.
Both stuck in the brush and can't seem to free themselves, gunners are standing at the ready waiting for the rabbit to clear the dogs. Trigger tries with all his might to make his mouth reach the rabbit... just as we see Triggers breath contact the rabbit, the rabbit busts free- making a break for it.
BOOM...
BOOM...

I don't even ask if he got it, I just chuckle and continue my walk back to the truck with the dogs at my feet- they aren't looking for rabbit anymore.
No, they are looking for better shooters!

A great day afield with friends, full of laughs and good memories. We didn't come out to feed our families, we came out to relax and have fun.

The dogs performed flawlessly, making sure I didn't look like a fool when I promised these guys a good hunt.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My kind of hunt, all have fun saafely and no one too worked up over some misses.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Brine said:
I've had some good laughs this year.
I thought I'd share a short story about one of my hunting trips, hopefully it'll inspire others to share more of their own stories.

3 of us arrive at a spot, unload, go over safety, gameplan, ect.
About the crew on this trip: One guy is a seasoned waterfowl hunter, the other a seasoned deer/bird hunter, and myself.

I send the dogs in with a simple "Hunt'em Up" Command, within moments Gunner (a colder nose) gives a little mouth at the edge of brush pile. Trigger takes his partners bark for it and barrels in, the moment Trigger (hot nose only really) opens his mouth I know we're going to have a good day.
We are all just standing in a gaggle, wondering if the rabbit is really going to make a break for it across a freshly snow covered opening at least 30yds wide when the rabbit breaks cover and sets off at a leisurely pace across the clearing not more than 25yds from us.
The air is filled with gunfire for the next 30 seconds as both men engage this cottontail who clearly had a death wish. Only when the last echo of their shots stop ringing in the distance to both men hear me laughing- the dogs continue on the track across the clearing to find the hole, return to the edge and just stare at me- as if begging me to find better shooters.

As we joke about the moment I cast the dogs in again.
Trigger goes right into the same brush pile again, and erupts into song as a rabbit comes out straight for us.
I holler to the closest guy to take it, and the rabbit cuts right- moving along the wood line now. After his 2nd shot, I decided to lend a hand. First Rabbit of the day!

We hunt the area some more, having some good runs but never having a clear shot of the rabbits.

We get to a great spot, I post a guy just inside the brush, next to a field; and the other 20yds away deeper inside the woods. The dogs are really pounding one good at this point, and it sounds like he is headed right to us...

BOOM...
Did you get him? No, he cut in, he's headed to you guys.
BOOM...
BOOM...
Did you get him? No, but I nailed the tree in front of me.

The dogs run'em to ground, and jump another moments after.
We take up similar posts, but it seems the rabbit holed up just short of our position. I move in to investigate when I see Trigger hopping all over this brush pile, he goes from one side- goes in a little bit, then hops to the other and does the same thing. He insists there is a bunny inside, I get him all riled up and he goes in a little deeper this time... and comes out with fur hanging from his chin. I tell him to "Bring it Here", and he runs to the other side and dives in, the rabbit comes flying out bumping my leg on the way. I holler to the shooter, and just at that moment the rabbit stops not more than 10yds in front of the shooter- right in a small shooting lane...
"I can't he's too close.."
The rabbit breaks right...
BOOM...
"Not too close to me."
2nd rabbit of the day!

We continue along our way, hunting, joking, enjoying just getting it away from it all.

It isn't long before the dogs get another one going, and push it straight to a shooter. His 1st shot slows it down, and the 2nd shot finishes the job.
3rd Rabbit of the Day!

We also had a rabbit bust out of a pile and into deep snow that we didn't shoot because we thought it was a mouse at first. All you could see was the top of its head flying thru the snow.

We continue to hunt our way back to the truck, when Trigger begins to tell us he's got something under a clutch of snow covered multiflora brush. Next thing we know he's singing full volume...
A few tense seconds later the front half of a rabbit pops out of the snow from the top of the bush and starts wriggling trying to free itself from the brush.
We begin to think the dog has the other end of it, until Triggers head pops out next to the Rabbits.
Both stuck in the brush and can't seem to free themselves, gunners are standing at the ready waiting for the rabbit to clear the dogs. Trigger tries with all his might to make his mouth reach the rabbit... just as we see Triggers breath contact the rabbit, the rabbit busts free- making a break for it.
BOOM...
BOOM...

I don't even ask if he got it, I just chuckle and continue my walk back to the truck with the dogs at my feet- they aren't looking for rabbit anymore.
No, they are looking for better shooters!

A great day afield with friends, full of laughs and good memories. We didn't come out to feed our families, we came out to relax and have fun.

The dogs performed flawlessly, making sure I didn't look like a fool when I promised these guys a good hunt.
Conservation hunting. I love it and do lots of it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
As long as they are mindful of the dogs... Gotta love those hunts.

To this day no one believes me there are armor plated rabbits in this state.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Roborabbits...PAGC released them as part of a top secret plan in 1978. It was supposed to help introduce the 10 gauge to rabbit hunting.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good story. Glad your dogs are doing good.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
As long as they are mindful of the dogs... Gotta love those hunts.

I believe you TJ. I've seen it with my own four eyes.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Run2Catch said:
Conservation hunting. I love it and do lots of it.
Always good to just give'em a scare!

Sqrlhntr said:
Funny story but I think I would have got my dogs and myself out of there and away from these Elmer Fudd's
First thing we did before cutting the dogs loose was safety,ect. I had no worries about these guys peppering the dogs.

caxtell said:
Good story. Glad your dogs are doing good.
Dogs are doing great Cris, still waiting for you to make a trip up here to do some running.

surveyor said:
sometimes there's shells in my box that don't have bb's in them
Those blanks just blend in with the normal shot shells, someone oughtta change that.

TRAPJAW said:
Seems there is one every year. We go back to harvest it a few times, but it's wise to our ways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts