The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Beagle recently. He was found along the side of the road and had no identification or anything. My fiancee and I took him in. They (the vet) assumes he is 4 yrs old. He is not fixed and is in overall good health. He's very muscular and likes to run.

Last night while walking him we came across 2 rabbits. It was almost like he didn't know they were there at first. One took off and the other stayed. He did see the one that ran after I helped him find it. He gave chase and it took off onto someone's private property so I stopped him.

I guess he picked up the scent and went back to where the other was sitting and then he went nuts and took off after it into some really thick stuff. He was on lead so he couldn't go too far but he was determined to get it, he was howling and doing all the things I assume a normal hunting dog would do.

This morning there was a Rabbit in an open yard about 50ft from him. He didn't notice it until I got him a little closer. Is that because his mind was on other things? I live in a "city" environment and there are a lot of other dogs around. Maybe he was preoccupied?

My question's are:

How can I get him to notice the rabbits sooner? It was almost as if he wasn't interested in the first one last night but the second one he went nuts over.

Not being sure of his past but knowing he is a runner, what is the best way to start working on him so that he comes back to me instead of just running until he feels like stopping?

He does listen for the most part when I say "come" and sometimes when he is being stubborn I have to say "come" and clap twice. This will get him to come to me usually w/o a problem but that's in my fenced in yard. He can be very hard headed though....

I was thinking of taking him to the local game lands and run him around on a lead to see what he does. I'm just concerned with him running w/o the lead. I'd rather not loose him.

·
Registered
24,786 Posts
beagles are scent hounds NOT sight hounds. They will sight chase a rabbit but are designed by nature to follow a scent trail.

Nothing wrong with taking him to a gamelands but give hi some time to get used to you and keep going over come and down or whoa in your yard.

Yu may consider an e collar if this is the route you want to pursue.

When beagles are engaged in a chase it is extremely difficult to get htem off chase unless there is a break in the chase (called a check) or the rabbit holes or the rabbit is killed.

N ot really a good a idea to let a beagle run loose with a lead on.

If you know other beaglers in your area let him run with them beagles will usually keep together and "hark" in to other dogs chasing.

You may consider joining a a beagle club as well which are usually enc;osed with fencing.

Best of luck have fun together!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I do have a local friends of mine that have beagles. I plan on working with them. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help the process while they are away on vacation.

·
Registered
24,786 Posts
yard work till ya both get to know one another.

Beagles respond tofood very well for training. A hot dog sliced into thin wafers goes a long way

When training only give a command that you can enforce. either by way of a lead or e collar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually start young pups on tame rabbits to build drive and have them start to open on track. You could try the same with your older dog. have someone hold the dog. Take the rabbits and put it near the edge of some cover than release the dog. It will sight chase first couple time than figure out what his nose is for. Dale

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Get him to listen to you first with some yard work, stay,sit, come, down should be some of the commands. Then throw his but in the brush and let his natural instincts take over. Letting your dog run in an urban environment increase the chances of car/beagle collisions.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moonsinekennel said:
I usually start young pups on tame rabbits to build drive and have them start to open on track. You could try the same with your older dog. have someone hold the dog. Take the rabbits and put it near the edge of some cover than release the dog. It will sight chase first couple time than figure out what his nose is for. Dale
Where would I get the rabbits from? I know they sell training birds for bird dogs but do they sell training rabbits?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually get them from the local live stock auction or chicken sale. Look in your local paper for rabbits for sale. I usually pay around $2 or $3 each. just don't tell them you are using them to train your pup....Check with some of the local beaglers in your area. most will have a starting pen or know of someone who raises rabbits. The stock yard I go to is in Grantsville md but call your local one and ask them if they ever get rabbits in for sale. You would just go and bid on a couple. There is also a chicken and bird sale at the Fayette county fair grounds each month the next one is Sept 19. There is usually alot of rabbits, game birds ect for sale there. If you go go early 6am.
Dale

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I raise rabbits but i'm about an hour or so South of you. I'm not sure how far you are from Honey Brook but there is some Amish up there that raise them as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
soup1279 said:
I was given a Beagle recently. He was found along the side of the road and had no identification or anything. My fiancee and I took him in. They (the vet) assumes he is 4 yrs old. He is not fixed and is in overall good health. He's very muscular and likes to run.
Hi Soup,
Make sure to post a pic of your pup!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huntin54 said:
I raise rabbits but i'm about an hour or so South of you. I'm not sure how far you are from Honey Brook but there is some Amish up there that raise them as well.
I don't mind the drive. I sent you a PM

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
_KravGirl_ said:
soup1279 said:
Hi Soup,
Make sure to post a pic of your pup!

This is "Wally"

He seems to have a little separation anxiety....

I wish I could get him to stop peeing in the house while we're gone.

Some days he's really good, others not so much. Today was a not so much day....

·
Registered
44 Posts
OMG - what a cutie! Give Wally a big hug!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's a runner... he got out of the fenced in yard today while I was mowing... I didn't hear him (he has jingly things on his collar) and I went to go out of the yard to do around the outside of the fence and he went right through my legs... by the time I dropped the weedwacker to go after him he was gone...

40 minutes later, after driving around calling his name he pulls up in the back of a police car.....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turns out the latch on my screen door was bad, the spring that latches it broke so he was able to just push open the back door while I was in the yard.

That's been repaired....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts