The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chipmunk issue in my yard and would love to pick a few off. I am in a semi rural area with no one out my back yard. I am looking for something quiet. I just don't want to upset what neighbors I have. Naturally, I am talking about being completely safe and not shooting toward any structures.

Some one told me I can get 22 short ammo with a low powder amount that sounds little more than a pellet gun. And would be enough to knock out a chipmunk.

I don't want to use poison as there are several dogs in the area. I havetried trapping, but the squirrels clean out the traps.

Anyone have any advice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I didn't want to get into the expense of a new gun. I have 2 22's and would like to use them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just buy a 50 round box of sub-sonic 22LR shells. They are considerably more quiet. Usually about the same noise level as a 22 short. They are about $3.50 a box. That is what I use to squirrel hunt with.

If you can then shoot from inside the house. Open the window just a little bit, and keep the entire barrel inside the house. As far back into the room as you feel safe. This will make it very quiet. Just be careful, but it is not brain surgery. Tom.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
It's still illegal to shoot any critters with an air rifle and it's also illegal to shoot chippies, period.

On the subject of fairly quiet 22 rimfire rounds, I'd suggest CCI 22CB caps, or Aquila Super Colibri, with no powder charge, just a primer charge.

·
Registered
454 Posts
DennyF said:
It's still illegal to shoot any critters with an air rifle and it's also illegal to shoot chippies, period.

On the subject of fairly quiet 22 rimfire rounds, I'd suggest CCI 22CB caps, or Aquila Super Colibri, with no powder charge, just a primer charge.

I second. Those CB's aren't exactly silent, but they would be way safer (no chance of ricochet). Never shot the Super Colibri, but have read good things. Orr...you could just get a jack russell terrier...they haaaate (love?) chipmunks.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
He ain't havin' a problem with feral taters....but know whatcha meant.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Aquila Super Colibri, with no powder charge, just a primer charge <-- These are the cat's behind. There is just a small click when they go off.

They are not super accurate, especially past about 20 yards (in my experience) but they are whisper quiet.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
'Tis why I prefer CCI CB shorts. Bit noisier, far more accurate and have some punch.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Don't be giving ideas about redneck silencers.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
CB's are quiet but if you got neighbors close why not trap and transfer(or)?Better than dealing with a shot window.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
use a 22-250 with varmint gernades - no evidence left
then set off a couple fire crackers - yell Happy New Year!!
No one will know the dif.!!!!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Adam said:
Aquila Super Colibri, with no powder charge, just a primer charge <-- These are the cat's behind. There is just a small click when they go off.

They are not super accurate, especially past about 20 yards (in my experience) but they are whisper quiet.
When fired out of a rifle I can hear the firing pin strike and the report is like snapping your fingers. I bought a brick of them because I was so impressed.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
great white hunter said:
Big Ken said:
Put a potato on the end of the barrel......Problem solved.
Ever try a 16oz or 20oz plastic water bottle taped over the end of a barrel? It works well for a shot or two....so I'm told.....

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
It's also illegal. BATF considers using anything that attempts to muffle a firearm, to be use of an unlicensed suppressor. So do your local LE officers.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know that. It's funny how I was showed by a local LE officer isn't it? If you read my post I said so I'm told.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts