The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good county to send my anterless application to. Any recommendations? Last year I wasn't too happy with Franklin. Guess they just get too many from all the hunters in this area.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
All county treasurers get lots of applications. As long as you get your license what does it matter how long it takes to get it?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hunters should not be left guessing. Treasurers should send permits out right away. The PGC should change the dates permits are due back.

I know one county that sends them out right away, and that is where I will be sending to. Elk.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10der, One problem with checking on line...there is no way to know if your application is sitting in a pile at the treasurers office waiting to be processed.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Your don't have to be left guessing. You can always check the status of an antlerless application at the pgc website by entering the outdoor shop. click the first circle down and follow the directions from there.

If you can log in here you can check the staus there.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If I were looking to hunt in 2G or one of the other WMU's that sell out in the first 2-3 days, I would be looking for the county that processes and assigns an antlerless tag to the license application as soon as possible. Being able to check it online is a plus, but if the county employees in County A are swamped with applications on the first day, and County B only gets a handful, guess who's getting their first choice on tags?!!

If the WMU you want had enough tags last year to make it to the date that non-residents begin mailing in, then you are in good shape if your application arrives there sometime next week (assuming you are a resident). If your WMU sell out quickly on a regular basis, I'd be looking at sending to a lower population density county - playing the odds that they don't get as many applications to process.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
rugered said:
10der, One problem with checking on line...there is no way to know if your application is sitting in a pile at the treasurers office waiting to be processed.
If you mailed the app, and have not been awarded one you can assume it's sitting somewhere. If you know that your app is sitting in a pile, what good does it do you?

Mail your app, check the Game Comm site on on the 16th (or any day you like) and see if you got lucky.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Lancaster is pretty good usually. But last year they sat on bonus app. for 4 days and didn't process it until Thursday. Cost me my first choice but i'll give them a second chance this year.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
I, for one, cant WAIT until they take this whole process out of the hands of politicians and give it to the PGC, like God intended!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Montour County for the last few years are very good if going for a high demand area like 2G. Erie is probably the worst in recent years as numerous complaints were posted on HPA.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
A deposited check is usually the first indicator of success for me. Often a week or more before it appears on the PGC website.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Berks county has got to be one of the worst. Takes at least a week before you see any indication on the status would it be on PGC site or a cashed check. Last year for round 2 it was 2 weeks from open date until they awarded mine. Lost out on my 1st choice so I will be sending somewhere else

·
Registered
905 Posts
Philadelphia County is generally really fast. lol

Kidding aside why doesn't Philadelphia County have an office or someone to send to? I mean Philadelphia is a County proper.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You think a week or two is too long?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Personaly, had good luck with Allegheny, westmoreland, Forest and Jefferson.

The only BAD story I know is from Warren. Year before last, my buddy mailed his right on time in the first wave and his check got cashed that wweek but he wound up getting his second choice. His first choice was 2f and there were still tags when the second date came for nonresidents but he didn't get his (yes, he's a resident). He tried to complain to the PGC and Warren county both. Got nowhere.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Three years ago I watched online as the processing occured for 2G. It was fast and furious up until about 5PM, then it slowed a great deal. Yet, until 7Pm that night, SOMEONE was still issuing 2G tags. Most of the other WMU's stopped being issued at 5 PM as well.

I later found that Elk County processes ALL the tags they get each day, even if it means their employees stay over.

It was ELK County that was still issuing 2G tags at 7PM.

So, if you sent to a county that stops all tag issuing at 5 PM, yer at a loss.

Herein lies the basic unfairness of the issuing system.

On top of that, I'm told that Elk sends them back to the hunters in short order.

Last year, I used Lancaster and they waited to send them until the last minute. Lebanon was the same way.

I don't wantto, and should not have to look it up online or wonder if the thing was lost in the mail.

I paid for the license, it should be in my hands ina reasonable amount of time.

Applying for a license the second Monday in July and not receiving it until SEPTEMBER is a joke.

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Dutch said:
Three years ago I watched online as the processing occured for 2G. It was fast and furious up until about 5PM, then it slowed a great deal. Yet, until 7Pm that night, SOMEONE was still issuing 2G tags. Most of the other WMU's stopped being issued at 5 PM as well.

I later found that Elk County processes ALL the tags they get each day, even if it means their employees stay over.

It was ELK County that was still issuing 2G tags at 7PM.

So, if you sent to a county that stops all tag issuing at 5 PM, yer at a loss.

Herein lies the basic unfairness of the issuing system.

On top of that, I'm told that Elk sends them back to the hunters in short order.

Last year, I used Lancaster and they waited to send them until the last minute. Lebanon was the same way.

I don't wantto, and should not have to look it up online or wonder if the thing was lost in the mail.

I paid for the license, it should be in my hands ina reasonable amount of time.

Applying for a license the second Monday in July and not receiving it until SEPTEMBER is a joke.
Elk County is fast at processing them but I suspect they will still hold them all until the checks are cleared and they are all processed before they send them out. If they do it the same this year as they have in the past all of the first round will be sent out on the same day which is generally just a short time before they are required to be sent out.

If they send them out too early they get a lot more complaints about hunters not getting them in the mail, even though the majority of them really did get it but then lost it somewhere at home before they needed it to go hunting, which then just makes more work for their office staff.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
905 Posts
I wonder if money orders vs checks affects the speed things are processed. I forgot I could just get one at the Post Office, as I assume it's still fine even if a postal money order is not specifically mentioned (as their are differences between us and global ones).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts