The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate to be able to work from home on Wednesday, which gave me the opportunity to sneak out for a little fishing. Since we had a few light rain showers in my area yesterday afternoon, I figured I would hit a local non-stocked, trout stream that I had briefly fished in April and had caught a respectable number of wild brown trout from.

I arrived at the stream right around day break and my first cast barely hit the water before a big fish grabbed it and ran. After a short fight, I had myself a nice STOCKED brookie!?!

No problem. Even out of place trout are fun to catch. A few casts later and I had a stocked brown in my hand.

So clearly a stream that is not stocked by the PFBC is getting some trout from someone else.

Fourth trout of the day... you guessed it, another stockie.

I have nothing against stocked trout or stocked trout fisheries, but here was a stream that a month ago was yielding wild brown trout and has now been loaded with stocked trout. I understand that 2 trips is hardly enough data to scientifically conclude, but based on the stream size, all these stocked trout cannot be good for the wild trout population.

As I moved upstream, it was nothing but stocked trout throughout. In the hour that I fished this stretch, I did not catch a single wild trout.

After an hour of fishing, I hustled back to my car and moved further downstream on the same creek.

It took less than a half dozen casts to land my first trout in the second stretch - an average, but wild, brown trout!

I only fished the second stretch for about 20 minutes before heading home, but I was able to hook and land 4 wild brown trout, which was a positive sign to end the brief morning on.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah I too think it's a shame to stock over wild fish, but it happens sadly. I wonder who is stocking it... if you don't want to say it's fine, but is it a listed wild stream? Maybe they simply don't know that it holds wild fish, or do you think it's that they don't care?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
psychobeagle12 said:
Yeah I too think it's a shame to stock over wild fish, but it happens sadly. I wonder who is stocking it... if you don't want to say it's fine, but is it a listed wild stream? Maybe they simply don't know that it holds wild fish, or do you think it's that they don't care?
The stream I fished is on the natural reproduction list. But based on the amount of posted land in that area and the few and small open stretches, I would almost have to assume that a private landowner would be stocking somewhere near the stretch that I fished this morning (it is a very affluent area). There are no nearby parks that could have held a fishing derby nor are there any sportsman's clubs around. I'll have to do a deeper dive on Google to see if I can find anything.

·
20,179 Posts
Well I'll tell you this. You're style of fishing is very effective. If you dont like the stocked trout in that stream you could use your very effective style of fishing to change that fairly quick haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts