The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the area at our cabin is prety wooded, but there is a 30 yard by 30 yard area that was already cleared by the previous. There is a lot of fern and some sort of thorny weed that is growing in that area now. We had planned on tilling the area to basically pull all of the weeds out, lime, and then plant clover. Is there anything else we should do? Also, there is the Imperial Clover at the hunting store for about $34 for a 4 pound bag. Is this really that superior to clover that you could buy at Agway? Also, how high does the clover grow and is there any cutting or other maintenance required?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You should cut your clover when its gets to 6", but a 30x30 yard plot the deer will probably keep it to the dirt. Spray the area with roundup to kill everything, wait a week, lime then til/disc, then plant seed and fertilize.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Most plotters would discourage the planting of clover into a weedfield, because it soon be a weedfield again. The ferns are usually an indicator of acidic soils. Lime takes time to work, 6 months or more.
Doa search on how to convert a weed field into a clover plot and you will find a number of threads covering this topic.
Generally:
1) soil test - now
2) amend soil, based on test results
3) cultivate and plant annuals - spring
4) cultivate and plant annuals - late summer
5) soil test - early spring 2014
6) amend soil based on test results
7) cultivate and plant annuals - spring 2014
8) cultivate and plant clover with a cover crop - late summer 2014
5)

·
Super Moderator
12,791 Posts
We have a 3 ac. clover plot and some smaller ones that are eaten to the ground every fall. A good food source will bring in deer from the property of others and from some very long distances. I have tracked them in the snow...distance is nothing to deer, they have all day and all night to walk and they don't have to return to the same place every night.

However one of the keys we have found for a good clover plot is keep it mowed when it reaches 6-8" tall. The deer like the new shoots better than the tougher stems that develop as the clover grows taller. The mowing will kill off the weeds over time. Also have the soil tested we use PSU, apply the recommended amount of fertilizer and lime to keep the PH in balance. Apply the proper seed. We use Ladino Clover seed from the feed store not the expensive clover seed from the hunting catalogs. Cost a few bucks; however if properly prepared a clover will last 3-5 years with a little maintenance and proper mowing.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I wouldn't get in a big hurry to plant right away. First I would spray it with roundup, Then wait for about a month and spray it again. Let that die off. Then get a soil sample done and prep the soil like they tell you.Then I would disk or till it all under. Then about a wk or 2 I would spray it again to kill anything that you woke up from being dormant for who knows how long. Then I would spread seed and drag and cultipack. I'm just telling you this from my experience from last yr. Also your clover plot won't come in real good and thick until your second yr. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
If you look on any bag of Biologic, Whitetail Institute or any other bag with a picture of a pretty buck, you'll see you're only getting about 1/3 of good quality clover seed and the rest is cheap clover or filler.

If you want a far superior clover that is cheaper and will be a better producer, get what the big boys get, - Alice and Durana clover. Both white clovers and you only need 4lb an acre.

Alice clover - $4.65 lb

http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=340

Durana clover - $25lbs for $159.99(you can find a bit cheaper if your local co op carries it but not many do)

http://www.hancockseed.com/index.php?mai...CFQQ4nAod1EMAXA

Welter seeds are usually already coated.

Another excellent white clover is Jumbo Ladino

http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=51

And Kopu(coated)

http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=52

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Also, you can spray Alice and Ladino clover with Gly in the spring(not sure about the others) but I'm pretty certain it will kil Imperial Clover. Even the high dollar spray they sell has been known to kill Imperial clover.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lot of good advice but your plot works out to .19 of an acre. Deer won't give it a chance. I'd be looking to plant something they won't eat so you both end up with something. Switchgrass, Big Bluestem, Indian grass etc....

In terms of clover seed I have found the Shiny bags superior to Agway stuff after many years and multiple plots in multiple counties but it is not the seed itself that is better-- it is the innoculant on the Shiny bag seeds. I would NOT use the Shiny bag branded herbicides. They are very expensive, heavily diluted versions of the real stuff PLUS they don't include the surfactant you need to make them work nor do they tell you about it. Get the real herbicides and surfactants from the Agway.

If you do decide to go ahead and plant I wouldn't even try to put clover in this year. I would not till it either. I would burn with gly 3x. Maybe put brassicas in in August. Get your lime and fert requirements squared away. Then frost seed next year or wait till green up, hit with gly again and broadcast the same day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts