The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two first year plots that turned out good. Both are covered with snow now. Had two spikes in it yesterday pawing through the snow coming up with mouth fulls of clover. The pure attraction (oats) are high enough to stand above the snow so not completely burried. After this winter, what can I expect with both plots? What should be done to get them to come back strong in year two? These are smaller plots so I could use a leaf blower and blow the leaves off it etc.. if needed. I made the mistake of dragging a rake over a plot that I thought would come back because it was covered with leaves so dragged it down to the dirt and threw clover down, which came up good. The spot I didnt drag eventually came back, very thick. So after fall and winter will the clover works its way through the leaves that might still be covering it in the spring? And when should I expect it to begin growing? Spring? eventhough it was planted the end of summer? When is ti good to fertilize and hit with a weed control?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hit it with some 10-20-20 in early May, and then again in late August. Two fertilizer applications per year are better than one big one.

I'd guess maybe in the spring the leaves will be rotting up for you. May not be a huge problem for you at that point.

Keep it mowed before weeds and grasses go to seed, that will help with weed control.

There is an eBay seller that sells herbicides for food plots in Lebanon County that a few on here have used. I think he sells them in smaller quantities so it's not that expensive.

Good luck and remember, clover does it's best in it's second year. It'll look like crap probably this spring and you'll think tou'll have lost the plot, but it'll come back, with a little fertilizer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
clover's should come back,for 3-5 years. you have to keep it lime and fertilized.That's the biggest Problem i see with clover food plot's Not being lime and fertilize.Right
Lime and fertilize early spring. what typ of Lime are you Planning on using?? ag Lime Or Pellet's lime??
what kind of weed Contral are you planning on using??
what kinds of weeds are you looking to control??

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been using pelletized lime, im sure I could always add more then I am currently same thing for the fertilzer. Weeds are very few just some tall ones almost like oats or something that was left over from previous plot I rake over. Weeds were minimal and I would weed wack them down but would like to try a herbecide this spring. I Other plot (pure attraction, oats, brassica and very few winter peas) is a first year plot over rocky soil. I will post some pics right before the snow came just to give an idea of size and growth. Not too familiar with weed types, they could be plants from previous plot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts