The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the Raiders/Broncos game last night. A Raiders player blocked a Broncos punt, the ball deflected about ten yards down field and a Broncos lineman recovered the ball and refs blew it dead, WHAT!!!??? What is the difference if it's a clean punt, the Raiders returner fumbles it, a Broncos player recovers it and takes it to the house? It's a good play. What I'm trying to say is, no matter who touches the ball on the Raiders and doesn't actually recover it, it's still a LIVE ball, correct? Last time I checked, those were the rules. I guess I pay attention to the little things too much.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Phase, it has to cross the line of scrimmage and be touched for it to be a live ball.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PossumBackstrap said:
Phase, it has to cross the line of scrimmage and be touched for it to be a live ball.
It was about 10 yards beyond the original line of scrimmage

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Gotcha, i watched it last night but I'd like to see it again. I misread your op.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Phase47 said:
I was watching the Raiders/Broncos game last night. A Raiders player blocked a Broncos punt, the ball deflected about ten yards down field and a Broncos lineman recovered the ball and refs blew it dead, WHAT!!!??? What is the difference if it's a clean punt, the Raiders returner fumbles it, a Broncos player recovers it and takes it to the house? It's a good play. What I'm trying to say is, no matter who touches the ball on the Raiders and doesn't actually recover it, it's still a LIVE ball, correct? Last time I checked, those were the rules. I guess I pay attention to the little things too much.
The reason is that the Raiders player never had possession of the ball. A few years ago, the Steelers had a Monday night game against the Chargers. The Steelers punted, and San Diego's returner had it hit him in the chest, and it bounced into the waiting arms of Deshea Townsend, IIRC. Not only did the Chargers retain possession, but the Steelers were penalized 15 yards for fair catch interference because the guy was not allowed a second chance to get the punt.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If the ball is blocked and remains behind the line of scrimmage it may be recovered and advanced by either team. For the kicking team it is still 4th down so they must get beyond the first down marker to maintain possession.

Once the ball crosses the line of scrimmage(even if it is tipped or partially blocked) it is a dead ball until touched by the receiving team. If the ball is touched by the receiving team but they do not take possession of the ball it is considered a muffed punt and may be recovered by the kicking team but may not be advanced by the kicking team. If the receiving team gains possession and then fumbles during the course of the return it may be recovered and advanced by the kicking team.

The rules are pretty consistent at all levels of football.

As for the steelers vs chargers play, a muffed punt is not live until it touches the ground. By the rule if the receiving team calls for a fair catch They have the right to the ball until it hits the ground. If the return man bobbles it in the air the kicking team can not in anyway interfere with him trying to catch it. Once the muffed ball hits the turf its fair game for recovery however can not be advanced by either team.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlkKnt62 said:
If the ball is blocked and remains behind the line of scrimmage it may be recovered and advanced by either team. For the kicking team it is still 4th down so they must get beyond the first down marker to maintain possession.

Once the ball crosses the line of scrimmage(even if it is tipped or partially blocked) it is a dead ball until touched by the receiving team. If the ball is touched by the receiving team but they do not take possession of the ball it is considered a muffed punt and may be recovered by the kicking team but may not be advanced by the kicking team. If the receiving team gains possession and then fumbles during the course of the return it may be recovered and advanced by the kicking team.

The rules are pretty consistent at all levels of football.

As for the steelers vs chargers play, a muffed punt is not live until it touches the ground. By the rule if the receiving team calls for a fair catch They have the right to the ball until it hits the ground. If the return man bobbles it in the air the kicking team can not in anyway interfere with him trying to catch it. Once the muffed ball hits the turf its fair game for recovery however can not be advanced by either team.
Thanks for the perfect explanation. If you didn't explain it, I was just about to look it up. Thanks, bud. Appreciate it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts