The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this might not be the right place to post this but when I was in college I had a friend who was from the Scranton area and for easter they had a dish called easter pie. It was not a pie like a desert pie but a pie that was full of meat and cheeses and i think eggs. Does anyone possibly know of a place near southeast pa that would sell one of these things?

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Giada...pie...

Walk away from trouble, Bates...walk away from trouble...

·
Administrator
30,250 Posts
I just told the wife earlier today that I'll be making Easter Pie in a few weeks.

Not sure about the SE, but if you get up by Hazleton there are bakeries that sell easter pie. I think Carmen's restaurant used to sell it also.

There must be an Italian section of Philly. I'm sure you can find some there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Bcozhunter there is a big section in philly i just don't know of anyone making them. I am gonna make a few calls and see what i can come up with. thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sheperds pie?? Meat and veges with a crust and broth

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This is one of my favorite dishes I have learned about from my wifes Italian family! (also looking forward to their veal piccata and lamb for diner)

If its what i think you are talking about- A type of frittata, served easter morning I believe there is some signifiacance of the ending of lent... (eggs being blessed the day before easter at some point in history, I can only take her Grandmothers word on that...)

Each of the areas of Italy have their variations on the ingreadiants.

giadas recipe is similiar to the riccotta pie/rice pies her familiy serve at dessert. Antother delicious dish!

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
I remember Noni always had a hard boiled egg in the middle of it? (Baked still in the shell)don't know if there was any significance to it or if it was just "her" way of doing it.

She would always let the youngest kid present keep the egg. I would have to ask one of my aunts why she did it that way. Mom has long since past, and I never really asked why it was there.

Talk about funs Easters for Dingo!....Half the family was Scottish (Paternal)..the other half Sicilian (Maternal).....Interesting Holiday dinners for sure.

to make it more interesting...I married into a Polish Family! Yeah, my kids are a bunch of mutts!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup guys that is what I am talking about and so far I have struck out finding anybody in the chester, delco, berks county area selling them. I might have to try and make one of those bad boys myself. Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
30,250 Posts
When I get home tonight I'll post the recipe I use. Got it from my Irish mother, who got it from an old Italian woman

·
Administrator
30,250 Posts
ITALIAN EASTER PIE

Dice the following:

1 lb smoked ham
1 lb hot, fresh sausage (cooked)
1 stick pepperoni
1 lb tuma cheese (substitute mozzarella)
8 hard boiled eggs

Mix above, using a wooden spoon, in a large bowl with:

1 lb ricotta cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 doz fresh eggs (beaten) salt each egg a little

Pour mix into 8 or 9 inch pans lined with dough. Makes about 4 pies.

DOUGH:

4 eggs
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1 ½ Tblspn (heaping full) of spry or Crisco
Flour (about 5-6 cups)

Beat the eggs, add water, salt, baking powder, and Crisco. Mix well. Make into a dough that can be rolled. Grease pans. Roll out dough larger than pan so you can have overlap. Fill pans ½ inch from top (Will overflow if filled to top).Place strips of dough in shape of cross on top of each.
Bake @ 325 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

This is the recipe as I got it from my Mom. It’s an old recipe and the measurements, especially for the dough, are estimated. I usually add 50% more to the meats, and add some crushed red pepper.
For best flavor, I find it best to dice the meats, cheese, and hard boiled eggs as small as possible.

Good luck

Finished product from a previous year:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just copied it and printed it out. Gotta try that, but it makes four pies!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts