The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a female beagle started to run with my five month old pup that has not been started--Is this a good way to get things going? Any ideas where I can find one?

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Some more seasoned hound guys will hopefully join in but for what its worth I'd suggest getting the pup started and runnin a bit on her own before introducing another dog.

Adding another dog should defently help your pup along but let her get some confidence on her own first, IMHO

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
I like to start my pups alone. Just keep taking them out to an area with rabbits. Dirt roads in the spring and summer evenings offer an opportunity for the pup to see and chase.

But sometimes the pup doesn't catch on and then I bring another dog along. If I see the pup paying too much attention to me on our walks and not exploring on his own I sit down and ignore the dog; bore itand let it try to get interested in something other than me. In this situation another experienced dog helps.

If I use another dog to start the pup, once started the pup gets soloed quite a bit. If the pup starts solo, it still gets soloed but gets more time running with some others as well.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I would get your pup going solo first.From experience,a pup may pick up some habits from other dogs that are not wanted. You may end up with a dog that is more of a follower then a hunter. Once your pup is finding and starting to run rabbits on their own, then introduce them to pack. This is just my opinon, some pack guys run their pups with others right away and the dogs are good hunters.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, that is what I will do when the weather breaks. That is how I started all my pups but reading some of the threads made me wonder if this was better way--but just like everything else, there is no easy way to great results.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Same here,
We definitely try to start them solo and get them up and running.
When they are able to circle a rabbit regularly, we introduce a single clean hound and rotate between solo and brace.
Too much solo can lead to a dog that will not pack but too much the other way can lead to a follower or "me too" dog.

John L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts